Soaker blues

Replies
Views
Rene

Hello ostomates. I found I prefer bag change after a shower. The chance to shower bag free, just me and the stoma. Good for peristomal health as well. I do, however, miss a good tub soaking. Is it okay to do that bag free with stoma fully immersed in water?  

AlexT

Yep. Stomas like to take a warm bubbly once in awhile. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Every morning for me!!

Morning glory

I would  not go bag free with my ileostomy. 

CrappyColon

Ileostomies aren’t known for being on their best behavior so unless you have yours down to a science…. Your bath will probably be joined by some effluence 😉

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hi Rene,

The issue with taking a bath vice a shower is that in a shower the fresh clean water is constantly flowing over your stoma and surrounding area.  When you take a bath the soap residue as well as dirt washed off you and dead skin cells all float on the top of the bath water.  If you let that sit around your stoma area it's not the best thing.  And as you get up out of the water that residue will deposit itself on your skin as well.  So at the very least have a pitcher or large cup full of clean water and wash off the area around your stoma as you get up out of the bath water.  Other than that.......have a blast!!  

;O)

AlexT
Reply to w30bob

That’s why you rinse off with a quick shower after your bubbly bath, duh. 😁

Shawn57

Yes, I always shower before I change and give the stoma "a vacation" As for bath, if you can time it right so that the stoma is asleep then go for it, but I haven't had much luck with the timing. So when I take a soak I do it with the bag on. But definitely shower well after you soak if you're doing it without a bag. 

wiljpeters

I apparently the odd man out. I've never done the "naked shower" or bath. I have two ostomies so there isn't really any way to do so without issues. You all have better behaved stomas than I.