What do I do ?

Replies
Views
BenjaminsBum

I had colectomy surgery Monday morning, still in hospital recovering as we speak.
everything has gone perfect except the fact my stoma won’t produce anything . Been told this is normal, but it’s now edging on 6 days and I know I need to go toilet. 
Is there any tips that genuinely help? Any laxatives that actually work? (Laxedo do notning!) any experienced this straight after surgery? 
do let me know asap

Im new here and love reading the advice and tips

Morning glory

Welcome  to the site. If you're  still in the hospital. Let them take care of you. You don't  need to be self medicating . Your stoma will wake up and produce . They won't  let you go until you have bm.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

toddB

Producing some amount of gas is step 1.  It can take several days for your gastrointestinal tract to "wake up" after anesthesia and refill from food you are eating.  Another good sign is being able to eat a somewhat normally sized meal without losing it.  This means it is all going somewhere...

MBT

Activity like walking is a good way to start the stoma working. Chewing gum, if you are allowed that, can also help.

w30bob

Hi BB,

Six days???  Are you saying you've had zero output........no gas, no bile, nothing?  For a colectomy 2-3 days is normal, if it takes that long.  When did you start eating and drinking.......has it been more than 3 days from that?  Your Docs should be on top of things, so I won't second guess them......but if you feel any pain you need to let them know.  And I mean LET THEM KNOW.  Keep us in the loop and speedy recovery!!

Cheers!

;O)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
AlexT

Walking, pushing fluids. I went probably 3days before I had any. BTW, you’re in a hospital, they should know what to do. Do not take anything to make you go unless your doctor says too. 

ron in mich

Hi Ben and welcome to the site, lots of good advice here i personally like the walking and chewing gum idea and if you can do both at the same time thats a bonus. 

warrior
Reply to ron in mich

That is a thing isn't it? to walk and chew gum at the same time?

For example: some people can't even do that normally as the saying goes.

Footie97

Benjamin 

I ended up in ICU with an Ileus,   The only thing that started my gi tract working was get out of bed, WALK, sit in a chair, stand, anything to get the foods etc moving thru.   It is miserable if they have to place an N-G tube.   Walk as many times a day as you can even it they are short walks, get out of bed.   
make sure they teach you how to care for all the new attachments you have, I left the hospital with very little advice and training, it was a steep learning curve!  

best of luck

footie

IGGIE

As already said, get up walk just keep moving and remember its all new, give it time. Looking at when you made this report you are probably already pooping and feeling good. get all the information you need before you leave. And get enough bags and products to last you until you get your main supply's. Regards IGGIE