Dating & Relationships

Replies
Views
Cybercat

Hi, I have had my ostomy for over ten years now, and I haven't had a successful relationship since. I'm not dating at all for over a year now after being rejected by the last man I was interested in. I irrigate so I'm able to hide it pretty well with shapewear or a corset, so intimacy is not an issue. It's that I have the condition, and when I irrigate which is once or twice a week, it's messy and gross. I don't know how I could have a regular boyfriend again, or get married or anything? I feel like I'm going to end up alone for life, and I'm terrified of the pain of rejection. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Morning glory

I married and dated non ostomates. Men are out there that don't  care that you have an ostomy.  I have an ileostomy.  You may get rejected  by wearing a bag; but you wouldn't  want them in the long run. Take a chance and be more confident. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,598 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Maried

Had my colostomy for over 30..I had been married long term  now single and dating..many men just do not care..keep trying..keep a postive attitude. Take your time getting to know the person..look for a kind , compassionate person.

aTraveler

Every "No" puts you closer and closer to the "Yes" you are looking for. Stay in the areana because  there is someone for you. I was once advised that "one of the tragedies in life is to not be prepared when opportunity knocks."  Don't miss out on a great spouse because you had given up. An ostomy allowed us to keep living. Live your life to the fullest with this second chance.

Riva

Hi.  PLEASE, PLEASE don’t let wearing and having a pouch define whom you are.   You’re an empowered woman whom should be making every day count and enjoying life to the fullest . Go for it.  Be that warrior woman that you are. You’ve got this .💪🌈

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
aTraveler

A couple of singers in years gone by included the following lyrics in one of their songs:

"Like Columbus in the olden days

We must gather all our courage

Sail our ships out on the open sea

Cast away our fears

And all the years will come and go

Take us up, always up

We may never pass this way again

We may never pass this way again

We may never pass this way again"

The thing about the open sea is that occasionally you will encounter rough waters. But you have to keep sailing.

AlexT

Why is it messy and gross? Do you have guys watch you do it? Anyone going to the bathroom, whether having an ostomy or not, is not on their most attractive level while doing their thing. If you only empty once or twice a week, there’s no way it’s grosser(if that’s a word 🤷‍♂️) than all of us going multiple times per day. I’m guessing there is way more to it than that. Have you not dated in over a year by choice or nobody has asked? 

JPM8456
Reply to aTraveler

Seals & Crofts?😊

aTraveler
Reply to JPM8456

Yes, they were the singers of this song which I always enjoy listening to.

JPM8456

Thought so. Enjoy your day!

Jeff

xnine

There is a site called Osto date you could try.

tommymckenna123

Same with me

tommymckenna123

I'd go out with you. You see my pics.  I irritate everyday. I hide things very well also.  Many ladies like me I think but when I tell them about my ostomy it just goes downhill 😌😓

Sincerely, 

Tom

AlexT
Reply to tommymckenna123

You “irritate” everyday? No wonder you’re looking for dates 😁🤭 Sorry, just messing with you. I’m impressed you’re willing to go from Florida to Idaho to take her out on a date. 👍

warrior

💩i can't even get a date in my local zip code and tommy going to Idaho makes jealous.

go for it dude. ya never know.