Ballooning and air trwvel

Replies
Views
osthelp

I had my ileostomy five months ago.  I am eating pretty much same diet as not sure about trying new foods yet. My diet is pretty bland and no gas producing food.  I am having a lot of ballooning and do release air but comes back again.  All family is out of state so concerned about this when flying.  Thanks.

aTraveler

Carbonated beverages, drinking through straws, and not eating regularly can cause gas. 5 or 6 small meals instead of 3 big meals.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Riva

Flying - do you wear a one or two piece?

AlexT

Something is causing the air. 🤷‍♂️

Justbreathe

Milk and milk products,  although a great hydrator,  causes cow-sized gas in the ole bag reservoir…Alex is correct.  You probably need to monitor,  for a while, what goes in and what comes out.  

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

G-Day osthelp,  If it does ballon on the plain just go to the Toilet and burp it out. But check what your eating before hand and you might eliminate it before you go.  Regards IGGIE

ron in mich

Hi Osto the last couple times i flew i ate some of those pb crackers that you get 6 in a pkg. i think they were keebler brand and had no balooning of the pouch.

Mysterious Mose

Try to abstain from eating things that produce gas. Milk products, anything with corn, using a straw, etc. And get up and use the restroom to burp your attachment. I did not follow the abstention part on my return flight from London last week. I am sure the woman seated next to me wondered why that old coot was going to the loo so often.  :-)

Of course, the biggest problem with extended flights for ileostomates is having to empty the bag in cramped corners with tiny toilet seats. Oh joy! The absolute worst for me are those damned motion sensitive flushers. I empty my bag by first scooting up towards the back of the seat. Gotta get way back there on a plane toilet due to the seats being round and small. That constantly triggers the flusher. The first time it happened to me, the bag was open and I had just poured water into it. Then F-L-U-S-H! I almost lost control of the tail which would not have been nice for me or the flight crew. 😂

Daniel

AlexT
Reply to Justbreathe

😂

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

YES !!!  Milk… you drink it and all too soon - you will be a cow balloon !!!  Butt…you will be hydrated 🥛!    jb