Cooked Bean Sprouts and Water Chestnuts with an Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
M32023
Mar 10, 2024 11:51 pm

Hey everyone, wondering if cooked bean sprouts and water chestnuts are okay with an ileostomy? I've actually never had a blockage in 4 years except ileus or pseudo, no physical blockage. Just curious if people tolerate them okay? I had a revision at Mayo, and they did a great job making a larger opening, lumen, etc.

TerryLT
Mar 11, 2024 12:07 am

Everyone is different, so the only way to really know is to try it out yourself. Start with a small portion, chew really well, and keep well hydrated.

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jayne
Mar 11, 2024 12:13 am

How fortunate you are with access to such a clinic.

I presume you like Chinese food - within my own experience with beansprouts - so long as they are fresh, i.e., super white, crisp, and have been properly washed and relieved of their seed husk [green bits] and they are stir-fried in a suitable oil [or even in a knob of butter] and one chews them thoroughly - then beansprouts are eaten and digested OK by most folk.

Water chestnuts - I have never prepared and cooked from fresh -- only tinned - where preserved within brine - again if they are not old and are still pure white - sliced or halved/quartered and properly stir-fried or baked - within other recipes or on their own - they are OK if well masticated!

I have had an ileostomy [following a panproctocolectomy] for nearly 45 years .....

It is only of recent date, following an excised novel TIES implant device, that reparative surgery has sadly - so far - failed to overcome the resultant hernias [2] that have transpired following the excision of the device that I now have symptoms of temporary [so far] blockage and pain following on from the most selective diet I am able to self-manage at the present time.

Hope this may help - others may of course have a different experience .... but these are likely to be the result of surgical or other concomitant factors - like extensive scar tissue or escape of bowel content etc.

On a diet-only related answer, I hope the above may be helpful.

BW

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ waves ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

from the UK

Jayne

edit:

BTW having just looked up your profile - ..... being within the medical profession - and given your own condition as described within your profile - I guess you are on top of some pretty interesting cutting-edge research concerning the vagus nerve [and nearby bundle of nerves] ..... guess you also practice certain yogic moves to help here too.

BW

J

IGGIE
Mar 11, 2024 2:18 pm

G-Day M32, try everything, but you will keep hearing to chew, chew, and chew. With water chestnuts, if you don't chew them well, you could get problems, so chew the crap out of them. Regards, Iggie

Justbreathe
Mar 11, 2024 6:20 pm

Chewing is key - if food is chewed enough it'll turn to mush… don't get lazy or give up chewing… if it gets to be too long and boring just spit it out! Allergies are a different story… can't chew the allergy outta food… just sayin'

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
October22
Mar 17, 2024 3:16 am

I have an ileostomy and refrain from eating bean sprouts and bamboo shoots, but I eat lots of water chestnuts.

rlevineia
Mar 19, 2024 6:41 pm

Water chestnuts chew up well. Be careful with bean sprouts. Good rule: small bites, chew well. Small sips of water to clear the palate. I steam the heck out of broccoli and carrots, no issues. Spent 5 weeks at Mayo. Pemberton and Cima are the best GI surgeons on earth.