Rectum Removal - Help Me with Questions for Surgeon

Replies
Views
beatrice
Hi all,

Finally, I have a consult appointment with a colorectal surgeon to have my rectal stump removed (had ileo Dec 09).

This guy is known to be a 'brilliant technician with lousy bedside/people skills'. So I want to have all my thoughts together for the meeting.

What should I make sure to ask him?

I'll want his take on:
- Time in hospital and healing time
- Will he remove the sphincter muscle (I've read that if they can work around it/leave it in ... the healing is faster and it is better for a more stable pelvic floor) -- true?
- Who will handle post-op concerns

What else? -- Any thoughts very appreciated.
beyondpar

Beatrice, I think your pelvic floor question is great...I have heard from many whose pelvic floor has shifted and that tends to make the journey a bit different..I think for the women, the pelvic floor and the vaginal area are closely linked as far as staying in place and not shifting.....Its just been my observation through many conversations, I am just a male who follows the journeys we all face.......
fyi......I have had I believe my sphincter as well as anus and rectum entirely removed.......I personally love the feeling of complete freedom from "down under" issues.......My healing time was rather long and I don't know why, but I believe anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months is normal healing time.

I know and have followed your worry with regard to another surgery, but it sounds like you are ready and you will be fine.....Good luck.......

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DH

Beatrice,
In my case, I had a large rectal tumor. The surgeon told me before my surgery that he would not be able to preserve and save my sphincter muscle because there wasn't enough clear tissue to work with in that area. And in order to make sure that all the cancer tissue is removed, he had to remove my rectum and anus. So my colostomy is permanent. Your surgeon should be able to tell you before surgery exactly what they are going to remove. Just ask plenty of questions. I just had mine about five weeks ago, still a little sore but gets better every day. Everyone's recovery time is different. Good luck.
DH

beatrice

Thanks DH and Beyondpar!

Since there is no known cancer, I'm hoping he'll be wanting to keep the sphincter -- called an inter-sphincteral proctectomy (say that 5 times fast).

Appt on Friday. Will let all know how it went.