Should I Reverse My Stoma? Worried about Post-Surgery Outcomes

Replies
Views
Puglady

Seeing the surgeon today and will probably find out if my stoma can be reversed. Don't know which way to go as prior to my perforated bowel I was constantly running back and forth to the loo, will it be the same after reversal and should I take the risk.

supernan

Hello Puglady, I hope it went well at the hospital and you got some answers.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Shelly2011

All I can say is to ask as many questions as you possibly can. I have heard some people that have had theirs reversed said that it was worse than when they had it and they burned inside their abdomen all the time. I would just want to make sure that I had a chance to ask as many questions as possible. Best wishes!!!

Puglady

Still unsure, the surgeon seemed to assume it was in no doubt I'd want a reversal... Got another few months to weigh it up and it will probably depend on how I manage with the stoma in work. I had problems before and was told to do colonic irrigation at home. I managed to perforate my bowel and nearly died. It certainly didn't help to know that I was later told I shouldn't have been doing it at all.

Puglady

I am such a wuss, I know no one can decide for me but I genuinely don't know what to do. I've heard such horror stories either way.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
StarUK
Hi Puglady, I see from your post you say you were running backwards to and from the toilet before you perforated your bowel. Has this ever been investigated? Personally, the answer to this would inform my decision as to whether I'd have my reversal. May I ask who told you to do your own irrigations? I'd be inclined to take legal advice... so they aren't telling other people to do the same thing.

Best wishes

Trish/Star