ConvaTec - Tips For Public Restrooms
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

Cavity Search ----Hepl

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
17,070 Members
  Past Member
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:58 pm
Next week I get "reversed" BUT first I  have a colonoscopy to be sure everything is OK. Like most of us, I'm used to the cavity search so no big deal. Except in the "old way" - I drank my cool aid, sat on the pot, able to exercise enough sphincter control to move from the TV to the pot and sit in time.

Now: No sphincter control and sitting on the pot is definitely the wrong position. Maybe lay across the pot ?use a funnel?, stay in the shower? I don't have the open ended bags but wish I did. Maybe I'll just take a walk in the woods!
-Steve
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:47 pm
perhaps you could get an "irrigation sleeve" from your local medical supply store. they are about 3 feet long and have an open end you just leave in the crapper.  they make them that snap onto your flange{depending on your brand}. good luck with everything.
  Past Member
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 pm
Thanks Super Hero!   will do first thing monday
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 pm
Best wishes on the reversal Stephen, don't forget to let us know how you are doing!
Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:07 pm
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you have - I have an ileo - and when I went for scopes they wanted to me to drink 10 oz of mag citrate.  I know better, so I skipped it and just didn't eat the day before the procedure; drank a TON of clear fluid instead.  They didn't have a clue.
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:59 pm
You need an irrigation sleeve (the long conical shaped ones that are about 3 feet long and drainable) or a large open ended drainable pouch, the largest you can find.  I had a colonoscopy and they had to go into both the rectum and the ostomy.  Fortunatley I had been NPO for five days prior to the colonoscopy, so it was no big thing and actually it was less traumatic than the colonoscopies I had prior to the ostomy.  So you might want to go off solids for a few days prior, if you have the time to plan this.  Good luck!
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:19 pm
Hi, Steve!
I fully understand where you are coming from, as I recently had a colonoscopy through my stoma to make sure everything was a "Go" for reversal. Like you, I was so apprehensive about doing the prep, figuring I might have to sit up all night in the bath tub babysitting a pouch that I thought might explode.  All of my worry was essentially a waste of my time. I used Sensura drainable pouches, and each time I had a burst of liquid stool, I would just empty the pouch.  Did that a couple of times, things slowed down, and I actually  slept through the night with no problems.  Minimal filling of the pouch the next day.  Colonoscopy scheduled around 1PM and was a breeze.  So get yourself a large open-ended drainable pouch and things will be fine!   Happy reversal!
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:09 am
Lol I do the same. I will never drink the citro mag. I have a s ope
Tomorrow. Will drink and eat normal until midnight.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.