Kind of Proud of Myself

Replies
Views
janice
Usually, when my bag leaks unexpectedly, I get extremely anxious.

Well, it happened today, my son-in-law was here. I was helping him do something and all of a sudden I felt it run down my leg. Without panicking, I told him, "Hold on a sec," and I went in and got a hand towel and just stuck it in there until I could finish helping him.

I then went in and proceeded to change my bag. Changed the mucus fistula bag as well because that had been on for a week. I also needed to change my wound dressing when that happens because it leaks into my wound.

Guess I'm proud of the fact that I handled the whole situation calmly and just did what needed to be done.

The bag was on since Thursday anyway. I was going to change it this morning but went on an eating binge instead. Had a bowl of cereal, a bagel with cream cheese, some fresh pineapple, French vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, some more fresh pineapple, crackers. It was probably all the fresh fruit that did me in.

Anyway, I attribute this forum to helping me get through this leak today.

Thanks, guys. You're awesome!
Past Member
Good job, girl! I'm proud of you. You will have your good days and bad, just like the rest of us, but you're gonna be just fine, sweetie.

I want to toss this in... I gave a little pep-talk to my friend Ryan today, who is usually quite upbeat and positive, but he was having a terrible day. He had to have both of his legs amputated when he was a toddler due to extreme burns and has had multiple operations since. He is 23 now and has gone through a number of different legs specially made for him, but recently had another surgery on one of his "stumps" as he refers to them and is beyond frustrated that he cannot put both of his legs on for another couple of weeks until he heals a little better. He said he'd rather drag himself across the floor than wear only one leg; it's "both or nuttin'" as he put it as he looked up at me from the floor.

He would trade any one of us. I think he would endure a half dozen stomas on his belly in exchange for having his legs back. He also never thought he'd find a woman to love him, but his girlfriend Molly is quite devoted.

You see, girl, we all stumble along the best we can. It's okay.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Sorry Janice, I forgot to mention something in that last post... There is fantastic information all over this site from awesome people like yourself, but one spot jumps out that I wanted to tell you about just in case you haven't been there yet to explore it....

One of the most kind-hearted and most helpful people here, Elzie, started a great thread on this site called "Tips" and I would love to inspire you to keep checking that area. Lots of good stuff in there already, many helpful hints of all sorts. Here's how you can find it: up top on this page in the tan menu bar, click on FORUM... then
ET Online: ostomy-related questions (just provided you with a quick link, but just so you know how to get to it) and in that section, you will find in the Topics "STICKY: Tips" Tips

That thread is a great idea and I personally wish ADMIN would consider making it a main link on the Home page. I think it would be an excellent idea... so that it's not lost in the shuffle.

Take care!
janice

Thanks doe,
Yes, I've seen the "tips" thread. Very helpful!

I do try to count my blessings. I can walk, see, feel, hear, smell, taste, have food on my table, clothes on my back, and a wonderful family!

Yes, I have 2 bags hanging off my belly....I'm learning..just like the rest of those here.

panhead511

Hey Janice, GREAT ATTITUDE! I know that it can be embarrassing when that happens, believe me, been there done that. Like I have said before, we all have good days and bad ones. Just keep your spirits high and try to be positive about the situation. You did well!!!! Do not let it bring you down. Just remember, everyday is a good day, we are alive!! Take care, Chris lol

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
tarababy

Hey guys, well it's posts like this that make this forum... Well done Janice. I too know all too well the feelings of "aarrrggghhh!!!" when a seal breaks, but it is the first time you realize exactly what you said, it happened, you dealt with it calmly, and went on about your business. Then you did what needed doing. Funny how it's not until after it's all done and you're sitting back and going "PHEW!!!" that you realize how well you just covered your ass without having a stress attack in the meantime... and nobody else was the wiser. Well done... Tara