Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,178 members

Space Between Stoma & Wafer

Go to page: Previous  1, 2

Posted by Penguins7, on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm
Ed,  What ever works and if it isnt broken dont try and fix it.  I thought the comment about the stoma expanding and contracting was interesting.  Sounds like another part of the anatomy.  What would cause the stoma to exppand and contract i guess is my question?  Penguin

Reply by Cattypex, on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:08 pm
You know, I have an ileo and my first stoma lay right along an older surgery scar. The wafers never laid right and I had "fill in" with paste - but that never worked great for me. Convex flanges helped, but it wasn't until 2002 when I had to get my ileo revised and the stoma moved to the other side that the products (Hollister) worked really well for me.

I don't use paste anymore - it seems to compromise the seal, and is a gigantic pain to get off the skin when I change my stuff every 5 - 7 days. One thing that really helped was to make sure and get the smallest appliance possible for my stoma, and cut the hole almost the same size (after this long, I can eyeball it and get it right every time).

Another thing that helps me: when I change flanges, I peel off the old one, wipe everything down till it's clean skin with a warm, wet paper towel, swab it off one more time with a wet paper towel, then dry the skin thoroughly with more paper towels. NO SOAP!!!!  Paper towels (or paper napkins in a pinch, snitched from a hotel restaurant, ha ha) work MUCH better than any fabric I've used.

I can do the whole operation, from cutting the flange hole to clipping up the bottom of the bag, inside of 10 minutes now, as long as my guts are not putting out a bunch of stuff during the process. I rarely have skin issues anymore, unless I get lazy and leave it a day or two too long (you will know, your skin will itch and burn).

Good luck! Everyone has their own issues, and their own solutions. Hopefully some of mine are helpful!

Reply by iMacG5, on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:14 pm
Thanks to all of you for your input.  Most, if not all, of us are still learning and the best educators seem to be our fellow ostomates.  The movement of the stoma during peristalsis should not require the wafer to be oversized and allow bare skin.  The paste, Eaken or other seals have some flexibility.  I don't think the wafer is that rigid that it will cut into the stoma during peristalsis which really takes place behind the stoma.  Having written that, it seems there are people who do exactly that (cut it larger) and don't have problems.  Though I can't imagine it, I'm still learning and anxious to learn more.  Thanks again to all.
Sincerely,
Mike

Reply by hockey, on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 pm
HI!!! Cecille; Ihave recommened a product that i have been using around the edges of my wafer (COLOSTOMY)--- It is called NEX-CARE - tape  I have been using it four about --3-- years it helps to keep the wafer secure to the skin it is 100% waterproof i use it scuba diving, swimming in the ocean  jumping rope dancing and any other activity that will make the skin perspire  --It also gives you confidence that you won't have leaks or blowouts-----
GOOD LUCK     HOCKEY

Reply by tim1948, on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:01 pm
Great topic and information.  Q.  The skin around my stoma has some spots (10:00 O'Clock and 4:00 O'Clock) Where the skin is like GONE.  A small hole is there, and underneath I can see pink stoma or bowel.  It hasen't gotten any worse in the 4 yrs I've had my stoma,  but does anyone out there have this same problem?  It wasn't like that immediatly after my surgury but apeared about a year later.

Reply by iMacG5, on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm
Hey tim,  I think a WOCN (Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurse) would be the expert to take a look and properly advise you.  Based on what's been written here I'm certain there are others with similar skin conditions and, hopefully, they'll respond.  Call the local WOCN office and set up an appointment.  My experiences with them were great.  Good luck and thanks for being involved.
Sincerely,
Mike

Reply by iMacG5, on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 am
vikinga, my first was a transverse loop colostomy, dead center ABOVE the naval.  I had to fill the naval with stomahesive and smooth it out using a wet finger.  Then letting the "patch" dry I applied the wafer and all was good.  It's now an end colostomy and the stoma is about 1 1/2 in. left of the naval. It's better.
Good luck,
Mike
Go to page: Previous  1, 2
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.