Meet and talk to 20,105 OstoMates

Is It Genuine?

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 am
Hello fellow ostomates.  I have recently received a post from someone who said they wanted to get to know me better on a personal basis ( see blog on 'Crohn's' ). ---------I did not know whether they were genuine or not. My questions to those of you who are more familiar with this type of thing are therefore:--- 1) How do you tell if a post is genuine?  - and -----2) What sort of reply would be appropriate? (preferably humorous).  
Best wishes  Bill

Past Member
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:16 am
Hi Bill,

I think in your case it was pretty obvious that she (he?) hadn't even looked at your profile to begin with.  Being over familiar with limited English language skills could be a clue to a scam (I'm thinking some long lost unknown relative from Nigeria who has bequested you a considerable sum of money perhaps?).

Primeboy's below response was perfect, literally made me "laugh out loud".
Oh Enis. I can't wait to meet you. Please feel free to contact me anytime at www.nowselfdestruct.com. Pleasant trip! PB

Wonder if "they" looked up that particular website!

Take care out there our poet laureate (and now it seems a chick magnet!)

~jo~

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:55 am

Bill wrote:
How do you tell if a post is genuine?  

Jo's right about Nigeria where a lot of these email scams originate. Check out the overly polite, arcane English. Also, google the person's name along with the words email and scam. Want to see more of Miss Enis' mischief? Check this out: http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45731.  PB

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:24 am
Whenever someone wants to email you like that it's a scam there just after your bank details, and always be very carefull when you see someone's profile who keeps repeating "i will tell you later or I'm a beautiful young woman"

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:25 pm
Thanks everybody for your replies.  Thanks PB for the website on romance scams - all very new and interesting for me. I cvan now see the relevance of somewhat formal and arcane English.  My wife said that she saw the email and was tempted to reply but got distracted onto something else. I'm now glad that she didn't reply to the email address as given, as I suspect we would then be getting a load of other scamming emails.
I have had a few from people wanting to launder money etc. but they seem so obvious as to not warrant thinking about apart from pressing the delete icon.  It's so difficult with not being familiar with this type of scam on a site like this where so many people are indeed looking for genuine relationships.   I kept thinking that 'if' it was not a scam then I would be making things worse for the person who was seeking friendship.   That's why I was so grateful for PB to step in with his usual confident, witty and humorous response. It did make me laugh at the same time as making me feel a little 'uneasy' in case he was wrong. However the website very clearly shows that he was right and the sender deserved the response as given by PB.  I wonder how these things get past the administrator on this site - or it it up to us to pass this information on somehow?
Best wishes  Bill

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am
Hey PB! If you own that domain "nowselfdestruct.com" you'd better hang onto it for awhile because I think you could sell it for a pretty good price! LMAO!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.