Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

Fecal matter stuck at top of bag

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:16 pm
Does anyone else have the fecal matter get stuck at the top of the bag, making it difficult to empty?  Please give me suggestions.
Reply by mooza, on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:06 pm
I dont but it does happen try baby oil or Hollister 78500 its a deodorant and a lubricant i do a little work for my ostomy assoc, so i am privvy to a lot of new things and i work with mostly people with colostomys i have an ileostomy so a lot more fluid but i use these gel to thicken the water so i dont get the slish slosh lol  hope this was some help to you cheers MOOZA AUST Bummwer winter has started here happy summer to U ,x
Reply by Penguins7, on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:24 pm
It happens to me sometimes but like Mooza says use baby oil or Hollister lube as this will help gravity does what it does.  I also put a little bit of air in my bag and this really help.  Crack the top open a bit and blow as hard as you can and air will get in bag.  Good luck.  Rod
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:40 am
cooking spray (yes, as in Pam) is another fix.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:58 am
Not to sound gross (aww heck we`re all in the sh!t right?lol)...it happens, esp if I eat a lot of carbs, i.e. pasta, potao etc. makes for very "pasty" poo as opposed to a diet with a good amount of roughage, i.e. veggies, slald etc. When it gets all stuck near the top or impacted all around the stoma I simply use my fingers (with the pough still on!) to work the mess downward. Try grasping a portion of the bag with one and and drawing the pouch thru the thumb and index finger of the other hand and just work the mess down. For poo stuck near the stoma I`ll use my index fingers to work the mess out of that area. For poo stuck below the flange portion of the bag again either thumb/index or index/middle fingers of both hands to work everything down
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:14 pm
it doesn't sound gross; in the shit? i say welcome to the craptastic.

not everyone is always so keen on making a manual manipulation even if its through the bag. even with some sort of lubricant, sometimes it's unavoidable otherwise prepare for the eventual breach.
Reply by Mrs.A, on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 pm
Baby oil gel also help when I first put on a clean pouch. Before I take off the paper to expose the adhesive I use a q-tip to apply it and between emptying if needed I use mineral oil.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:33 am
I have a ileostomy ,but I keep a cup for water to wash out my bag when it gets to messy. when I'm out I'll use a cup from a fast food restaurant and take it with me to the restroom,and fill it with water.
Reply by Penguins7, on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:32 am
Do you remove the bag and rinse or just open from bottom and pour water in?  I did that and my wafer seemed to get wet and leak as a result.  Penguins7
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:42 am
Not only do i pour it in, i'll swish it around for a good rinsing.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 am
I had a drain able bag ,and open the end and swished it around..I had a good seal and didn't have much problem with leek age, I also wear a elastic belt so I can tighten it. just happen every once in awhile.
Reply by Oceanblue, on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:38 am
Yes I have that problem, because my belt line is on or below the stoma.  this creates a bit of a restriction especially if the belt is tight.   I also think the design of many bags having a lot of material above the stoma for the filter makes it worse.   I usually push it down by manipulating from the outside of the bag.   As others have said, the diet can make the build up worse.
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:36 pm
Using fingers to manipulate outside of bag usually works good.......I have also done the swishy water thing using a dixie cup of water poured inside, slosh it around, then empty......but I haven't had too much trouble with that since I have an ileo rather than a colostomy..........however.......back in the days when I ate more breads and pastas and such that problem would sometimes occur, I would take a bit of vaseline and rub in on the inside of a NEW bag before I put it on Smile ......I also tried baby oil in the past but it never failed to get out the tape and losen the seal and the bag Sad ...that is actually when I decided to try the Vaseline idea.........luckilly I've not had to do that in a very long time since I have experimented more with my diet, I drink more water and tea and that also helps.... but I also have less intestine nowadays so all output is thinner.  Good luck with that SmileSmile
Jer
Reply by Jer, on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:14 pm
I'm only three weeks with having a colostomy on Friday. I'm very new to this. However, I felt that I should mention my experience since I'm learning my supplies. The one piece doesn't give me any problems at the top of the appliance. However, I just put on a two-piece appliance where it immediately began to keep "matter" at the top of the bag within the flange area. The one piece and two piece are both from Hollister. I have a kit from coloplast that will be tried as well. They only sent me a two piece trial kit. When I go back to work, I will be using what I'm most familiar with, which is what I wore home from the hospital, the one piece Hollister that is transparent in the front. I do hope to begin irrigating once my wounds are healed. I want to thank all of you for being so helpful and sharing your experiences. It has made a huge difference even before I knew I would have an ostomy! Please, feel free to give me advice as I do try new supplies. I'm very fortunate with getting supplies being that I do have great insurance. So, if there's any ideas for me, please feel free to share them with me.
Reply by Penguins7, on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am
Are you saying the baby oil created a leak path in the wafer?  The Vaseline is a great idea.  Thanks.  Rod
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.