Oh, and while you're open, we might as well remove your

In this discussion
Replies
Views
vulcanBMk2

I have to have my urostomy post-op incisional hernia repaired as over the last two and a half years since my op it has grown a little big, although it doesn't cause me any problems. My surgeon called me in for a chat and told me that while they had me open, he would get his general surgeon to remove my gall bladder. Well, this was news to me and I told him he had got the wrong person... He seemed surprised that I knew nothing about it. I asked why they wanted to remove it, and he said gallstones had shown up on a scan I had 6 months ago and while I was open, they thought they would whip it out (cheers, doc)...

I then had to go and see the general surgeon who would do the gall bladder. I looked up the op on the internet (as you do) and all sites stated gall bladders would not be removed if the patient had no symptoms. He asked what symptoms do you get, I told him nothing. No pains under my ribs, no indigestion, no heartburn, no pains in my shoulders, and I'm not on any form of medication. I eat all types of food without a problem. He said, "Well, I'm not taking it out then" (I could have told him that and saved us both the trouble)

He told me he couldn't operate through the hernia incision as it was below the belly button. If he ever needed to do it, it would be keyhole surgery above the belly button.

He said he would write to my hernia surgeon (who did my urostomy) and tell him to forget gall bladders and get on with the hernia!!

I could have been in and out of the hospital 9 months ago and well on my way to recovery. He also wants to give me a belly tuck and tidy up the old scar line.

I know the British NHS is free, but I wish they'd stop messing about and get on with it. I don't really want to be in the hospital for Christmas!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tarababy

Don't blame you, Vulcan.....I was in the hospital 2 days before Christmas.. Told them it was not a good idea... I went home for the day... They couldn't find me.... Hehehehe... I was back the next day.. And gee, it felt good to do as I wanted, not as I was told... If a person is never in their bed and keeps telling you they're okay.. Ahh, what's the point.. Not like any doctors get on here to see if they can better their bedside manners, hey...... Later dude

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
gutenberg
You snuk out of the hospital for a day, shame, shame. I was in the hospital for six months so they let me out for a week before lung surgery, TB, lucky bastard, only 19 years old. So I went home for a week but it took two weeks before I got back. My family never knew about it until six months after surgery when I was ASKED to leave, imagine that, and the administrator seemed to take pleasure in telling my parents about it. But it was never brought up again. It was a joyous weekend. I had a lot of fun in that hospital but the administrator had no sense of humor, go figure.