Need Advice & Reassurance for Upcoming Ileostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
Taz-uk
Hey all, new to this site but smiled when I found it. As most of you were, I'm kinda scared, nervous, and angry all in 1 waiting to go in for my ileostomy. I've just had my pre-op so D day (as I like to call it) is drawing near. Any advice? Reassurance from those who are out the other side, I would really appreciate it.

Taz x
gordonc

Taz, I have had my urostomy now for 20 years. I was like you, scared and nervous when I had to have it, but now it's just part of everyday life. If I didn't have my stoma operation done, I wouldn't be here to tell the tale. So keep smiling and look into this site back and forward. There are lots of good people here.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Taz and welcome to MAO. Relax, you will be okay. Sure, you will have to be patient and fight to keep a good attitude as it is a big thing to have surgery and we all go through steps including grieving, as strange as that may sound, it is true. Do a lot of reading here and other sites but know that we are here if you find yourself needing to chat, share, rant, or ask something. Keep faith in your heart.

Past Member

Hi Taz. I just wanted to wish you healing and good health. I've had my (original ileostomy) J-pouch over 20 years now and I am grateful for the wonderful life it's afforded me. I'm sending you peace and a gigantic hug. Take good care!!

Past Member

Hi Taz, I just woke up three days later with a bag. And that was in September 2013. Yes, it was a big shock, but I have accepted it now. And you will also. Keep smiling. Regards, Clarissa.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill
Hello Taz-uk. Welcome and thanks for sharing your feelings.  A mixture of emotions such as you describe are quite 'normal' in these circumstances. However, the very fact that you are sharing your feelings with others is a good sign that you will come through the experience with strength and purpose. Most of the pre-op apprehension is probably down to those things and experiences that are, as yet, unknown to us and therefore generate a mild sense of anxiety.  This is a basic, animalistic, 'natural' reaction which prepares us for anything that might happen. Once the anticipated event is over most people are quickly able to relax again and get back to their usual selves without the anticipation hanging over them. Here's wishing you the best of luck with your operation and the improvements in life that it will bring. Best wishes  Bill
Jayd

Hi Taz, I was devastated when I found out I had to have the operation. I hated the thought of a bag. Now I feel so much better than before the surgery. I feel like a new person. I am feeling healthy again. I'm not even sure I will take the option of the reversal. Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

Taz-uk

Many thanks for all your messages. They are a real help. I'm due to have my ileostomy on 4th March. Reading and seeing that there are so many positives regarding the operation helps immensely. I'll keep you posted. Tax x

Plasma Energy

Once you heal up, you'll be fine. I was very sick when I had the emergency surgery. I now spend more time messing around with my eye contacts than I do the ileostomy. You'll be fine. Don't think anything to the contrary.

Past Member

Hi all, I was out today for Chinese duck and Chinese spicy soup. I was worried that I would not have a stool because of the spicy food, but the time now is 11 p.m. and I have just emptied the bag, which smelt of all the spices they used. So the worry was for nothing. The next thing I must do is to have some wine and see if that will have any effect. By the way, some news: I am a conversation teacher of English. I help Czech students who need to speak English for their jobs. I interviewed a new student who is a Stoma sister, which made me very happy because we will have a lot to discuss.

pammer

Hi, Taz. I like you, I am so scared. I go in tomorrow. I will update you on how things go. Good luck!

Past Member

Hi, I wish you all the luck for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Past Member

You and Taz are lucky. You know you will have the operation. I didn't know. Just woke up 3 days later with a bag.

Taz-uk

Hi Pam, I hope all has gone well and I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you have got lots of support. Take care and keep me posted when you're feeling up to it. x

dragon2

Hi Julie here, Griffin's mum. Griffin having the ileostomy was the savior to his life. I wrote a bit about what happened before it!! Life was not good!! The ileostomy is awesome, it's tender for a few weeks so be gentle with your body... Don't use a toweling face cloth to clean your stoma because the pieces of toweling catch on the stoma while in the shower... We learned that cotton cloths are best, like old tee shirts. Write more later, battery going flat.

Taz-uk

Nerves are through the roof. I have my operation on Tuesday... I've seen a post on here which has alarmed me immensely!! I expected that I may get the odd leak, but the hammer is exploding all over the show... The more I read, the worse I'm getting.
I expect this is normal. I just feel sick when I think of it now. It's so close.

Primeboy

Hi Taz. Calm down. Some of us rarely have leaks. I average about one minor leak a year and it is usually my own fault, not the equipment. I pay attention to my stoma and have learned to control it by knowing how it behaves. Knowledge is our best handle on fear. So, I see your surgery is scheduled for March fourth. That should tell you something. Good luck!
PB

Taz-uk

Thanks PB
I'm normally not a worrier but I guess knowing it's tomorrow and not sleeping very well is a nervous frenzy attack.
Thanks to everyone who has shown me a lot of support, this site has made a huge difference.
Taz x