Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,232 members

The overnight issue... too much poop!

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 am

I have a "high output" illiostomy and have to get up 2-3 times a night to empty my hollister high  output bag.  I have created a solution with the drain plug of my bag inserted into 5/8 in tubing  (secured with tape) one one end and a milk jug at the other ... again secured with tape.  It seems to work pretty well for the last few months but, I can't believe there are not other/better solutions to this.  Any ideas folks?

Reply by beatrice, on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 am

I'm lucky in that I've retired early ... so when I have to get up 2 or 3 times a night, I no longer view it as much of a problem. If I can't get right back to sleep, I read. And then if I'm tired in the morning, I just sleep in a little later.

But when I want to limit the night load as much as possible, I'm careful to stop eating at 7pm and then just drink enough to keep hydrated. It really helps.

Your 'contraption' sounds quite ingenious!

All the best,

Beatrice

Reply by Daven68, on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:43 pm

dmingia,

I have the same issue. I use hollister high output bags as well. after numerous tries by ostomy nurses the best they could come up with is a Bard urinary drainage bag #154003 (google it to see a pic).  It has a hose that fits inside the rubber tip of the holister bags tightly so no need for tape . It also has a drain but for me that gets clogged and wont empty ,so I end up using a new one each night but so far this has been the best solution for me to date. Hope this helps. Dave
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.