Kock Pouch

Replies
Views
Daz1985

Does anyone know anything about these internal Kock pouches or have one? I have been looking things up online and they seem like a good alternative to the bag but I can't see that they are widely available. By the looks of it, they only do them in Oxford in the UK. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Primeboy

Hi Daz. In 2010, I had a K-pouch installed at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City. This pouch was installed after 6 previous years of successful experience with a J-pouch, which unfortunately became compromised by precancerous tissues in nearby colon areas. I waited nearly a full year with a temporary ileostomy before deciding against operationalizing the K-pouch. My GI convinced me that the K-pouch would need to be emptied very frequently during the day. At that time, I became pretty accustomed to the routines in normal ileostomy maintenance, so I decided to leave well enough alone, and I happily never looked back. My surgeon was also relieved to hear my decision. At that time, I understood my K-pouch would be much smaller than the original J-pouch because of unavailable tissue.

So, I would talk to your doctors about issues relating to frequency of voiding and possible leakage given your age and previous surgical history. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Daz1985

Hi Primeboy.

Thanks for your input. I have come to the same conclusion that thinking of it as a viable option isn't worth it.

I too had an attempt at a J pouch a few years ago and it wasn't able to connect as my remaining bowel was too short so I guess the possible outcome would be much the same.

Again, many thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Darren