Diverticular Colitis

Replies
Views
phillg

I have had a colostomy for 20 years and now I am being bothered with mucus coming from the rectum. It used to stop in 3-4 days, but now it continues. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wilski

Try a rectal enema, e.g. Fleet, to flush out the mucus. I've had similar experiences when I had my colostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

I used to irrigate with a gadget fixed up to the shower in the bath - but that was just to get rid of the nasty, smelly stuff. After a while I only discharged a clear mucus with no odour so I stopped irrigating and use incontinence pads instead. It's all about choices!

Best wishes

Bill

B4_R2D2

The first two years of my ileostomy, I retained my rectum with the hope of getting a J-pouch, and like Bill, I wore women's panty liners in my briefs. Since my rectal sphincters were too damaged by my Crohn's/colitis, I opted to have my rectum removed. That gave me another 8-week vacation from work, which saved me from a layoff period. However, if you still have a useful rectum, I'd suggest you consider a possible option of colostomy reversing reconnection. Why wear a pouch if you don't need to? Or if the rectum and sphincters aren't viable, maybe rectum removal. More on rectal mucus at: http://www.healtharticles101.com/bowel-mucus-do-i-have-problems-with-digestive-tract/ OBTW, the UOAA bi-annual 4-day educational Fun Conference starts next Wednesday, 9/2. Even I, with 27 years since my first belly surgery, will be there, as I always learn something good.

Good luck and God bless. Bruce

B4_R2D2

PS. Check out the UOAA website at OSTOMY.org. Bruce

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister