Bowel Prep for Colonoscopy - Tips for Managing Splashing?

Replies
Views
Emra

Hi....I've never had a colonoscopy before and next week will be my first one. I have a 2 1/2 month old descending sigmoid colostomy.

The doctor has prescribed the stuff I have to drink for the prep. I asked about the tail end prep and he will "take care of that" while I am under. Oy...this is a little embarrassing but you are the only folks I can ask.

So when the oral meds take effect and the fast and furious evacuation of the bowel begins...do you guys have any tips? I will obviously have my pouch on (I use a two-piece pouch and separate flange). I was thinking of getting a chair or something and just waiting in the bathroom. I am concerned about splashing - I now use toilet paper in the bowel when I am cleaning out the pouch - but this is going to be something altogether different.

Anything you can suggest would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Bill

Hello Emra. I am presuming that there will probably be a great deal of output with this procedure ( a bit like with irrigation). I would suggest having an irrigation sleeve rather than a pouch. These hold an enormous amount of output and can be folded up and sealed to form a pouch.

You mention that you use a 2 piece system - some of these will take the irrigation sleeves from the same companies without you having to change the baseplate, so you could ask for a sample , if they have them. Otherwise, as it is a one-off use, ask for samples of ordinary irrigation sleeves. I use Dansac sleeves because they give me wider access at the top of the sleeve and they are a bit longer and wider than most. However, it's all a matter of personal preference and as you will only be using it the one time there probably won't be that much opportunity for experimenting. The beauty of using irrigation sleeves instead of bags is that you don't really have to be restricted to the toilet area while you're waiting for output.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Emra

Thanks Bill... I'll investigate that irrigation sleeve... that sounds like the perfect solution.

Again, many thanks for yet another terrific suggestion!

Ciao,

Emra

Emra

Bill - I just ordered a free sample from Hollister - hopefully it will arrive before Monday when I start the prep. The husband has used his engineering expertise once again and we have a Plan B as well...I won't go into specifics but it's a plan...B plan but a plan indeed!

I was happy to see that the sleeve is reusable. I will need it again preoperatively - my surgeon has indicated that another bowel prep (top and bottom) will be required.

As Sonny and Cher sang so many years ago, and the beat goes on.

Ciao,

Emra

Bill

Hello Emra. A plan 'B' is alrways a good idea even if it's never used.  I hope everything works out okay for you.
Best wishes

Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
chesbay

I used an irrigation sleeve as Bill has suggested. It all worked very well.

I also moved to a mostly liquid diet of juices, broth, etc. 2 or 3 days before the procedure. I was cleaned about 24 hours in advance, really. Everything went very smoothly and easily.

Wish you well.

currentsitguy

I had to undergo this when I had a colonoscopy to see if I was ready for reversal (I was). I didn't do anything really special, but I did take a few precautions. We were in good luck in that we had a new puppy so I had a ton of those puppy training pads. I reclined a bit on our love seat and lined it with the pads, just in case there was an accident. As it was, I did drift off and there was some leakage around the wafer, but the pads caught everything. There was no harm except to my pride.