Inconsistent Ileostomy Output: Smooth or Chunky?

Replies
Views
2tired

My ileostomy output is sometimes thick, sometimes thin, and sometimes like water. I'm used to that, and I know that foods can affect the consistency. But I have also noticed that sometimes the output seems what I might call "blended" -- a smooth consistency -- but a lot of times it just seems like chunks of various-sized pieces in a watery base. Is that typical? Has anybody else experienced this?

Past Member

Yes, mine is thicker in the morning upon waking up and more watery in consistency during the day. From what I have learned, ileo is more of a thinner to watery consistency. I find that on more watery days, if I eat a banana, it slows it up and I get more nutrition in my system. I have been told here that pretzels, crackers, and graham crackers help too. Since bananas work so well for me, I haven't needed to add others. Hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Yes, I have this a lot. It all comes down to what you are eating. Large pieces of roughage will come out as typical chunks. Secondly, these chunks will essentially pull water along with it, hence the watery consistency. No need to worry.

Primeboy

Hi 2tired. You got good advice from Cann and Xerxes. If you take any anti-diarrheal meds, be sure you take them as prescribed and before meals thereby allowing your body more time to break down what you consume and absorb liquids and other nutrients. Folks with ileostomies are prone to dehydration (and possible kidney stones). Above all, do not drink less fluid in order to thicken your output. You may need to drink a lot more given that you identify yourself as 2tired. I drink water rich in potassium, like Gatorade or Smart Water. Ileostomies can be a mixed bag (sorry); but, whatever you do, drink.

PB

Past Member

Kidney stones, really? Learned something new.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
October Born

Hi 2tired,

I too have varying consistency with my ileo output. I take a time-release medication and I even end up with little balls from meds in my bag. I just avoid anything that can cause a blockage (been there and don't want to do that again) and drink water constantly to avoid dehydration (been there too). I didn't know about the kidney stone thing either. Great! Yet another thing to consider. It sounds like what you're experiencing is pretty normal, whatever that is for us. Side note: love the name as I too am very tired-all the time.

Darlene

Primeboy

Yes. My urologist warned me about this possibility before my surgery. Since then, I have had two stones. I am now getting involved in a kidney stone clinical study to determine if some calcium-based medication might be indicated. Here's a brief explanation from a National Institutes of Health report on stones and bowel disease:

Patients with colon resection and ileostomy form uric acid stones, as loss of bicarbonate in the ileostomy effluent leads to the formation of an acid urine. This, coupled with low urine volume, decreases the solubility of uric acid, causing crystallization and stone formation.

Whether I need to take that medication or not, I know I am particularly prone to dehydration and must drink lots of water even when I am not thirsty.

PB

bettylynn26

Hi,

My output is about the same, but that's the first I heard about kidney stones though, and I learned the hard way about staying hydrated. Not fun going to the hospital, so I drink lots of water! Went through a hernia too, went to fix it and it came back!

Ewesful

Oh my yes -- some things will digest one day and not another; I don't worry as long as there is good output --- I eat some things that will be very doubtful as to absorption but if they taste good I enjoy them... for instance, I cannot absorb carrots or mushrooms but the bag doesn't care!!

Xerxes

Great attitude!

2tired

A belated thanks to everyone for responses to my questions. I just now (Nov. 3, 2016) saw your responses for the first time. I must have missed emails telling me that there had been replies.

In any case, here's an update on my situation: I had my third blockage in 11 months and was in the hospital from Oct. 9-11. In previous hospitalizations, surgeons told me the main culprit was scar tissue. Of course, I still need to be careful about foods likely to cause blockages, but I have food limitations from other conditions (diabetes, kidney disease), which sometimes seems to conflict with what I'm supposed to eat (or not eat) as an ileostomate.

I know that I have problems with dehydration (I recently saw a nephrologist for the first time, and he pointed out that when I was in the hospital, and on IV fluids, my GFR and creatinine numbers improved, but when I went home, I got dehydrated again, and the GFR and creatinine numbers got worse.) I know I need to drink more fluids, but I have a hard time doing that, as it often makes me feel queasy and/or gives me heartburn. (I also have GERD.)

Regarding the consistency of ileostomy output, does anybody else have output that looks like thicker material suspended in (or at least separated from) watery stuff? Sometimes my output comes out "blended," like pancake batter or sometimes like oatmeal. But what I'm asking about is when the "solids" are completely separated from the watery output. Does that mean anything important regarding digestion or absorption of nutrients? Which kind of doctor should I ask about that? (I have so many different doctors for my different conditions I'm losing track of them all!)

In any case, thanks again to those of you who already responded to my original message.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hun, it's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get, lol... at least it is with me. Mine is like that all the time, and it's all about what we eat and drink.