Meet and talk to 20,116 OstoMates

Colostomy Reversal

Posted by Lifechange, on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:11 am

Hi there.

It's been just over 12 months since  my colostomy operation due to diverticulitis and peritonitis and now I  am waiting to have a reversal.  I have developed a  hernia behind my stoma (it looks like a perky boob with pursed lips LOLkiss and have another one on the right hand side which the doc tells me is a incisional hernia. I now have what i call my front bum LOL  Hopefully I will have them sorted when i have my reversal.   Has anyone else had this?  Oh and my weight is another issue too.  Have put on 8 kgs in a year frown just always hungry.

Bub 

Reply by CharK63, on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Bub,

CharK63 here. I had my colostomy reversed May 2016 and have not fully healed yet. My stoma scar has been leaking ever since then. 

I had a catscan in October which led to incisional hernia repair in November. One week after being released the whol inch and a half incision scar opened up and began draining going through bandaging every hour. 

Its still draining but starting to close and I have appt Monday to review latest catscan. 

The trouble is that I now have another hernia bigger than the last and I'm afraid they'll see that again and not determine the cause for my stoma getting infected. 

I have such serious scar tissue that every procedure takes a long time and creates more scar tissue and is more difficult for my surgeon to do and for me to heal. 

I have keloid scarring visible from an old surgery and I wonder if that is the problem. Also I delivered 10 lb. 1 oz. baby boy via emergency caesarean 32 years ago and think he's the cause of my problems lol. 

Ive been trying to stick to a 5 lb weight limit and in order to do that means I virtually do nothing because it's very hard to do. I must be getting somewhat better because now it's becoming hard to sit still and I'm getting restless. That won't help and it also doesn't help my mental state. 

Oh well, woe is me I will have to go under the knife one more time and I just hope to get it all resolved. 

I don't have much I'm putting off doing while I  wait to be well again just a normal life seems out of reach. 

I separated from my husband 12 years ago and had a strong romance with liquor for a while lost my license from a seizure but I'm ready to see what the new repairs, older and wiser me looks like. 

As usual I'm just carrying on here as I didn't exactly see a question in your post. 

I will advise you though to watch out in your activities to not strain yourself so you don't get anymore hernias. They repair with mesh and it's not taking too well. I've only had it 2 months but I have another. And as I said I've been taking it real easy.   

Thanks for letting me vent and good luck to you. 

Charlotte

Reply by Bill, on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:52 am

Hello Bub.

Your hernias sounds very familiar and a 'perky boob' seems like an appropriate description.

When mine started getting bigger, I made an aluminium, rectangular plate with a hole in it to fit precisely around my stoma. this was supported by two elasticated waistbands scrounged from my stoma nurse but I think were from Dansac. In the early days, the metal sometimes made the stoma bleed at the edges if I had been doing things to put a strain on it. However, I found a stoma collar made by Salts which has a soft rubbery collar that sticks out to surround the edges of the stoma. I stuck this on the plate with double-sided tape and it is a comfortable fit with no problems. This device keeps the hernia from getting any bigger despite all sorts of heavy lifting and activities that I know I should not really be doing.

Just as an aside, when I irrigate, I have recently been using a reuseable sleeve from Dansac which has a much larger hole. This exasserbates the hernia to such a degree that I was considering stopping its use. However, I found that once I had finished inputting the water and expelling most of the output, I could quickly swap from their device to mine (one with a sleeve attached) and this would support the hernia for the rest of the night.

I tend to devise my own gadgets to suit me, largely because I do not want to keep having operations to put right what other surgeons have done wrong as it seems like the cliche 'throwing good money after bad.'  Also I firmly believe that the devices that are made as a one-size fits all, is not the way to go as everyone is different and what we really need is a bespoke fitting service. At present this can only be achieved by DIY. Even then I have found that every now and then I have to tweak the gadgets to keep them as a good fit.  

I hope this is helpful 

Best wishes

Bill   

Reply by CharK63, on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Bill,

Oh my goodness you are quite the creative fella! I do a lot of different kinds of crafts including sewing and jewelry making but I don't even have any ideas to try to implement!

i go Monday to find out about my new hernia but it took 4 weeks to get approvals and actually get the last ones repaired and I'm already having trouble getting up and down. I'm even avoiding sitting at my desk to work because the elastic waistband s are pinching and leave welts that hurt and itch. 

I have spanks and panty girdles but they are a strain to pull up and down to go to the bathroom so I'm not sure they can do what a hernia belt does. 

Just to remind you my stoma was reversed but the scar has opened and its draining heavily but I've also acquired a new hernia that's right above my navel and big enuf I feel it whenever I move. 

So, on Monday I should ask dr to prescribe a hernia belt? Is there any particulars I should know to ask for?

Thanks,

Charlotte

PS I agree that every procedure we got does as much harm as good. I'm having a helluva time getting the iodine from the catscan out of my body. It's been almost a week and I can still taste it and its still in my bowels. 

Reply by Bill, on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:10 am

Hello Charlotte.

Just a word on hernia belts. I found that the ones that are all in one piece like the top of panties were no good for me because I only have to lose or gain a pound or so in weight and my waistline decreases or increases by several inches. when I'm losing weight  it makes these typpes of girdles next to useless.

For some time now I have been using a hernia belt made by CUI which wraps around and sticks with velcro so it is always the right length for the day that I'm wearing it.

Just a thought

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by CharK63, on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:23 am

Thanks Bill,

You reminded me that my surgeon seems to know nothing about supplies and that I should do my homework and pick exactly what I think I need. Then I'll give her the item number and say send this in plz. That's exactly what I'm going to do!

Thanks again, Charlotte

Reply by supermeguk, on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi. Newbie here. 5 months since my colostomy and I have a parastomal hernia which looks like I'm about to drop triplets. I was referred to CUI for a support belt but because everything took so long after being referred it's like the proverbial bolted horse. My job is very physical and a support belt was mentioned by a stoma nurse while I was in hospital. I think referrals should be done then. Mine was made to measure due to the location of the stoma. It's pretty difficult to wear it now but I will after the reversal. 

Reply by CharK63, on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:08 am

I looked online but found nothing from my old distributor and the ones I did find looked like they're just for men. 

I wanted to go to appt in the morning with all the info but unless I have a bout of insomnia that's not gonna happen. 

Im starting to feel nervous about appt anyway. It's not often I have to see doc face to face to get results. I'm just being paranoid in sure. I don't know why it's always the end of the week that I finally get a response then I have to wait all weekend before I talk to doc. 

Thank goodnes I have you all. 

Thanks, Charlotte

Reply by Bill, on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:22 am

Hello Charlotte.

Just another thought. Recently I have been having back problems and I bought myself a backbrace online which gives me much more support both back and front.  I still wear the CUI hernia belt underneath the backbrace because it seems to be more comfortable that way. This double belt system would not do for anyone who has to use a bag but if it's for support post reversal op, then it might help some people. (and the backbraces are really cheap!)

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by CharK63, on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks Bill,

ive been studying online so much today about hernias and belts and supports that I hope I'm prepared for the dr tomorrow and I will keep your advice in mind too!

Guess what? My search engine took me right to "MAO" to posts including you and Bain from August 2016 lol. Goes to show how rumdum I am right now that makes it seem so funny!

so good night, Charlotte 

Reply by supermeguk, on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Good luck Charlotte. Mine is unisex but they use men in the photo. 

Reply by skylar, on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:44 pm

I too have a hernia but it surrounds my Stoma and is very large. Bending over is something I try not to do on my left side. I will be going in for a reversel this month (Feb.)  the  surgeon says he will do it all at once. It's been 2months since he has seen it and boy has it grown. Very  nervous about this

Reply by CharK63, on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Skylar,

Ive just come from my surgeons office. I had hernia surgery November 17 and now have another painful lump about an inch over behind my navel. 

She says this is common and will take a couple months to go away on its own. 

I will accept what she says but it seems odd to me that I wasn't told about it beforehand and that it's as painful as it is. 

She also said that I don't need hernia belt for it. 

Charlotte

Reply by CharK63, on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi Mrs. A, Bill, Supermeguk and all!

i just left the surgeons office and yay, yay, yay, she took a sample of the fluid coming out my stoma scar right there in the office and an ultrasound as well, instead of having to go to hospital!

She will see if there's any more infection in there from the sample. She also got a good view from the catscan that ruled out any more hernias or fluid buildup anywhere else. 

The lump I feel is common after hernia surgery. This is news to me but I already have a lot of scar tissue and don't want any more procedures if I can help it. 

I was prepared with order supply numbers for hernia belt but she says that's not necessary. I am having trouble getting up and down so I think I'll order something off Amazon probably. It will help me remember not to strain myself. 

Thanks for all your support. Whoosh! I feel so much better!

Charlotte

Reply by Bill, on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:25 am

Hello Charlotte.

That all sounds good and I hope it all sorts itself out for you and goes well from now on.

Best wishes

Bill

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.