ConvaTec - Less Effort More Ease
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - Less Effort More Ease
Meet and talk to 18,357 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 18,357 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

colostomy

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Just looking if anyone has had this problem.   Within last month started taking fibre as was having leaky,watery bowel movement. Now stools better with fiber.  But after every meal i have normal bbowel movements.  Any help vhange my bag 2-3 ti es a day

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 am

Hi,

You don't say whether you have an ileostomy, or a colostomy.   Ileostomy generally means that the out put will be somewhat liquid, since you don't have a large intesting ( colon) that removes the fluid.   If you have a colosstomy, then the opening ( stoma) was made somewhere in the colon, which means that feces will be more solid, especially with more fiber.   With an ileostomy , you don't have to change the bag each time it fills us.   The more liquid feces, can just be emtied into the toilet bowl, if  you're using a pouch with the spout.   I have my ileostomy for more than 50+ years and I only change my wafe & pouch when needed or after 7 days, whichever comes first.   I empty the pouch 4-5 ( or more) times a day.....when I have to pee, or when there's too much in the pouch for it to lie flat.  Sometimes, the pouch just fills with air/ gas, so I just go to the rest room and let the air out through the spout.  Other people "burp" the bag, where it attaches to the flange.  If you're not wearing a 2 piece...it's more difficult & you'd have to change each time your pouch fills up.   I hope this answers your question.   Marsha

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:42 am

It's marsha again,

Just realized that you do have a colostomy.   If you want to regulate your output,  many people choose to irrigate, which gives you the opportunity to  empty your bowels at a specific time of day.    If you're having firm BM, then be aware that the pressure could actually push your wafer/ and pouch off  your belly.   If you reduce  the fiber,a dn the output is more liquid, you  can use a  one piece or two piece, with a spout, so you can easily empty it.  

I hope that clarifies things..

Marsha

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.