Colostomy

Replies
Views
D5000

Just looking if anyone has had this problem. Within the last month, I started taking fiber as I was having leaky, watery bowel movements. Now, stools are better with fiber. But after every meal, I have normal bowel movements. Any help? Change my bag 2-3 times a day.

Immarsh

Hi,

You don't say whether you have an ileostomy or a colostomy. Ileostomy generally means that the output will be somewhat liquid since you don't have a large intestine (colon) that removes the fluid. If you have a colostomy, then the opening (stoma) was made somewhere in the colon, which means that feces will be more solid, especially with more fiber. With an ileostomy, you don't have to change the bag each time it fills up. The more liquid feces can just be emptied into the toilet bowl if you're using a pouch with the spout. I have had my ileostomy for more than 50+ years and I only change my wafer pouch when needed or after 7 days, whichever comes first. I empty the pouch 4-5 (or more) times a day when I have to pee or when there's too much in the pouch for it to lie flat. Sometimes, the pouch just fills with air/gas, so I just go to the restroom and let the air out through the spout. Other people "burp" the bag where it attaches to the flange. If you're not wearing a two-piece, it's more difficult. You'd have to change each time your pouch fills up. I hope this answers your question. Marsha

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Immarsh

It's Marsha again,

Just realized that you do have a colostomy. If you want to regulate your output, many people choose to irrigate, which gives you the opportunity to empty your bowels at a specific time of day. If you're having firm BM, then be aware that the pressure could actually push your wafer and pouch off your belly. If you reduce the fiber, and the output is more liquid, you can use a one-piece or two-piece, with a spout, so you can easily empty it.

I hope that clarifies things.

Marsha