Re-siting of Colostomy Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Holeinone

Maybe facing re-siting of colostomy stoma and just not sure how bad this is going to be. I have had other problems through the many years I've had colostomy, and I am not looking forward to the idea of this. Retracted and misshapen stoma along with recurrence of parastomal hernia causing episodes of leaking and blowouts. Anyone who maybe has information on this condition could help would be appreciated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Immarsh

Not trying to be funny, but it's a "crap shoot". I have an ileostomy...the same stoma for over 50 years. It's shrunk, and pulled back so it's almost flat with the skin. One surgeon I saw a few years ago, said that I should stay with the one I have for as long as possible, as there's not much "good space" on my abdomen, to reset it. And they can't use the same site. So my stoma and I will remain "the same age".... unless it gets worse. You have to weigh the advantages. Not an easy decision. Best of luck, Marsha

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Holeinone

Thank you for your input and I know that some say leave it and others say it only gets bigger the longer you wait. I'm waiting for an appointment with a surgeon and an Ostomy nurse to see what they have to add to my decision. I don't really want to deal with a strangulated bowel.

Thank you and keep in touch, Holeinone, Ontario