Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,228 members

Bowel blockage

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 am
hello

I  Was wondering if any one out there has had trouble with bowel blockages after their surgery, I have been back to hospital twice since my first  op to remove my cancer.
I hopeing i have to right deit now, so it wont happen again,
I have a Colostomy bag and a Urostomy bag ,
people say o my god how can you live with that i say i AM ALIVE, thats what counts
Reply by Txgirl, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:51 am
Ria,
       Hi there, and I'm sorry to hear about your troubles & that's exactly right, WE ARE ALIVE. Everyone poops, we just do it a little differently.

Now, I have been having blockages, minor ones from scar tissue from all my surgeries. I get a fever, bad chills, and terrible pain and no output for about 3 to 4 days, then BAM...it's like a dam burst. ick.

I try to play around with my diet and was told to eat a very low residue diet but since it's from scar tissue formation (?) I don't think it has been helping.

I'm sorry I wasn't more help to you.

Have a great day!!!  Hannah
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:57 pm
Hello! How ironic to have found your post!  I've been dealing with this issue ever since my urostomy surgery in December 2006.  Early in 2007 it was very, very painful.  The pain was a sudden, sharp pain in my lower back.  It would come on all of a sudden, and at night would wake me from a sound sleep.  No matter where I was or what I was doing, it would just come on instantly, out of the blue, and only last a few seconds.  I wasn't sure what it was, and never put 2 + 2 together to figure it out for a long time.  So, I ended up at ER's and Urologists and getting lots of different tests such as x-rays, CT Scans, and more.  Nobody could find anything.  They gave me every pain medication on the planet, but they were worthless because the pain was not constant.

Fast-forward to about 6 months after my surgery...

I started to notice the pattern of sometimes going a week to 10 days or more without a bowel movement.  Yikes!  Well, I tried everything including massive amounts of water, fiber, laxatives, and anything else.  Nothing worked.  I finally did my own medical diagnosis: all that pain was bowel blockage!  I figure it was caused because when they took out a section of my large intestine and sewed it back together, they either got something twisted or the parts that were sewn together didn't stretch as much as the rest.

I started to see a patter emerge: once I had a bowl movement, I would end up having "the dam break" as my sister called it.  I would have 3 to 5 more within a couple hours!  Then the pain was gone for a week or more!  So yes, I finally figured out what was causing the pain.

But I don't know if there is anything anyone can do unless they cut me open again and have a look.  And I'm not ready for that!  I have no insurance or medical coverage, and certainly can't afford it out of pocket.  So I live with it.  The problem has never gone away, and apparently I'm going to have to deal with it for the rest of my life!  I never had this pain or blockage until my surgery!

The best remedy, I have found, may sound odd but it seems to keep things moving more regularly.  My "cure" is to eat greasy foods like hamburger or sausage.  Since spaghetti is one of my favorite foods and I make it a lot, I notice the BM's are more regular and more often when I have a huge pot of spaghetti with fatty hamburger (the cheap stuff) to eat for a few days.

Apparently the grease/fat from the hamburger softens stuff up and has a way of getting through the entire blockage.  Odd, but it works better than any stool softener or laxative!

So, there you have it: my pain issues from blockage and how I've been able to deal with it.
Reply by Txgirl, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:20 pm
Shawn, That's funny you dsay speghetti helps you, it helps me as well. I started paying attention a few weeks ago and since I like it so much too, I eat it a lot and it does help.
Sorry Ria, I should've mentioned that but totally forgot it until I read Shawn's post.
I'm a goofball at times!
Reply by lottagelady, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:57 pm
I didn't realise I was having problems (except after peanuts, but that was me being silly!) until I was examined the other week and the doc said I was 'loaded'. I tried some Movicol but that made me sick so not keen on going there again. As for diet, I eat what I can - also a diabetic so should be careful there too. I do eat a lot of salad leaves but tend to steer clear of most other veggies but will occasionally have peas, cabbage, cauliflower (which really thickens things up) and broccoli. Sweetcorn is an absolute no, no.....! Fruit I do occasionally eat too but cannot eat raw apples. How do you know if you are 'loaded' if you have an ileo that appears to be working fine? Any ideas? Rachel x
Reply by Txgirl, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 pm
Rachel....do you or anyone else get fever & chills and lose your appetite like I do?
Reply by jeaniefrances, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:57 pm
I have blockages, didnt know what the heck they were till I began reading these sites. At Christmas I had one, chills, fever, etc. I went to bed thinking I had a virus. Stayed all weekend in bed..went to work on Monday. Some Christmas. I have had that happen several times in the past and didnt know what it was. Once I was in the hospital and they couldnt figure it out either. I take stool softeners 3 times a day, it helps some. I have two bags too due to cancer. Not very much fun but what can you do? Good luck with yours, God bless..Jeanie in Georgia
Reply by jeaniefrances, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:01 pm
I do, fever was 103. Due to a blockage. Now I am ok, been emptying my bag all day here at work...YUCK. But it is working again. I have a fistula and when my bag is stopped up it goes out my newly formed vagina...didnt have one made for an exit for crap! I think that is all part of it. Jeanie in Georgia
Reply by lottagelady, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 pm
No obvious fever, though I do have times when I can't stop sweating, or when I feel I just can't get warm .... will take temp next time and see.

Lately, I do have lots of periods of dizziness and nausea which I had put down to the fibro, but who knows as I've so much crap going on... I really don't want to eat when I'm feeling sick though generally do eat a bit so I don't have a hypo. Its just my ileo seems to be working okay, has never stopped working. When I feel as though things are heading for a blockage (although ileo still seems to be working...) I am in serious agony and generally end up in hospital - feels as though someones knifing me .. how can you tell... dunno?
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:37 pm
HI! Again
thanks for your replys,first time it happen to me (the blockage! i had emptied my bag at lunch time) , then 2am in the morning i woke up in horrible pain and throwing up which would not stop,
next time the pain was less , thinking a pain killer would help but again at night woke up throwing up, and back in hospital,
Pain i can handle throwing up i cant
Reply by lottagelady, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:42 pm
I am now thinking I maybe feel sick because I am blocked up ... does that answer the dizziness thing though? I'm confuddled now! (more than usual!)
Reply by eddie, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:32 pm
Ria, the blockages get less frequent with time, sorry you got asked that question,  I got so sick & tired of been asked how can you live with that as if I turned into a freak or something.  It bites!  But remember you have a whole army of us to support you & try to help each other any way we can
eddie
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 pm
Amen to that.............................
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:00 pm
Try a stool Softner it helps me out.
Reply by Maryallison, on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:38 pm
I haven't had the blockage problem, but just want to say I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS!!!!!YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.