Ostomy Hernia

Replies
Views
Dandy Dan

I have read some posts where people say a hernia formed. What caused it and did it make the stoma bigger where it makes your clothes look like you have a giant ball under your shirt? Mine recently started getting bigger and I don't know why.

dadnabbit

Dan, I have an abdominally cut ileostomy and had a ventral hernia almost immediately after surgery. They are usually caused by the incision not healing properly. My surgeon insisted it was not a hernia, but after two years of looking like I swallowed a soccer ball, I went for a CT scan ordered by my concerned PCP, and it verified a HUGE ventral hernia with three parts of intestine poked through and looped up into my stomach. Nurses and doctors will tell you, coughing, lifting pretty much anything over 6 pounds, and bending the wrong way can cause a hernia to pop through an already cut muscle. However, I did not cough, never lifted anything, even a 1/2 gallon of milk (5lbs) or bent or reached for anything. There seems to be no real reason except the way the muscle is cut, and every surgeon does that differently, and the way the cut muscle heals. If you have been a while with your stoma before the hernia appeared, lifting or coughing seem to be the most accepted and likely causes of hernias. Everything I have been able to research and confirm has indicated that they will always only get larger. However, when hernias are repaired they have an extremely high percentage rate of re-occurring.

Peace

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

francis

Hi Dan, shortly after my operation, I had a severe bout of bronchitis which has caused a hernia to be formed.

walderpeee

Hi Dan---Had my colostomy surgery 6 years ago. I do have a hernia right by the stoma. It does poke out more days than other days. Gone to 2 surgeons and they don't suggest surgery!! I think the reason is where it is located!! I ordered a guard with a belt and wear that to hold it in. Good luck!

Bmokind

I had a similar experience to Dadnabbit. No education after my surgery. My surgeon told me it was too early for a hernia at my 6-week check-up. Mine is like a volleyball now, hanging off my left side. I'm awaiting a consultation in my new city's university hospital, but thinking I will opt out of surgery. I'm only a year out from my colostomy.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister