Burning and Redness Around Stoma - Desperate for Help!

Replies
Views
Babydoll

Hello everyone, I have been having a lot of redness and burning around my stoma. It has been hurting so much. I've called my doctor already and he gave me some advice of what to do but it didn't really work. Can anyone please help me with this, I am so desperate right now because of the irritation I am having bag leakage and it's getting even worse. I cry everyday because I feel hopeless since I had my colostomy for a whole year but this is so different and I hate it. Any advice or what can I do or buy so I won't have these problems anymore??? Thanks in advance...

Dee

Past Member

Dee, have you used the white stoma powder? I had the same problem and kept using it, and it finally healed it. Praying for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Babydoll

Yes, that's what I'm putting but it wears out quickly because of the output and the bag starts to leak. Thank you very much for your response.

Past Member

Do you use a one or two-piece system?

Past Member

I'm not sure, but just watching what you eat can cause burns. If I eat spicy food or drink soda, coffee, or liquor, I bleed and burn. I stay in the shower and put paper towels in a grocery bag to hold it over my stoma while I lay on my side. Letting my skin have some badly needed air time, as it needs air. I only use aloe vera on my skin. I'm sorry, but the more you eat, the more you know. Every time I let go and eat the way I did, I regret eating. It's best to be slim, have low mount, and less control, but you can control just how strong your stool is. Oatmeal and granola, eat like a horse. The burn is from glue, not air acids in stool. Try using a dryer to make the wafer glue soft, then apply it after 30 to 60 minutes of air time for the stoma. - Jerz.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Babydoll

Thank you.

Babydoll

Mr. Ed, I have tried both the two-piece and the one-piece.

Past Member

Which do you use now? I use the 2-piece and I can't take the bag off and squirt powders around my stoma.

TheCollector

The main goal is keeping the skin around your stoma dry. When my skin gets irritated and I start having leakage issues, I make sure to apply plenty of powder only on the irritated skin and wipe off any excess. I also change my bag 3 or 4 times a day and apply seaweed to the affected skin. I got my ostomy nurse to prescribe it for me, and it will amaze you how fast the skin will heal. Also, there is a new cohesive silicone paste that works really well by ConvaTec. Good luck to you.

ron in mich

Hi Dee, do you dry the skin next to your stoma before applying the wafer? If my skin is weepy and sore, I dry it with TP, then use a blow dryer for a little while. Then, I warm the wafer with it and then put it on. Also, how close to the stoma is the opening? There should be no more than an eighth of an inch gap around the stoma. Good luck.

Penguins7

Hi Dee, I use Desenex powder (absorbs moisture and relieves itching and burning) and have had great success with it in lieu of stoma powder. Ron from Mich has good advice with making sure the area around the stoma is dry. I too use a hairdryer each time I change mine out.

Make sure you don't leave a lot of room between your stoma and exposed skin. Do you have a stoma nurse you can meet with in your area as they are more knowledgeable than doctors. You should have times during the day when the stoma is not active and take the wafer off and allow the skin some time to heal.

Good luck. Penguins7

Mrs.A

Have you heard of the crusting technique? Here is a link from one of our members' blogs that explains it with a video if you need to see it done. https://www.veganostomy.ca/crusting-technique/

Babydoll

Thank you all so much for your responses, unfortunately it got so bad I had to call my doctor and I am in the hospital right now. I was not able to walk anymore due to the burning. I did almost everything that is listed above and no go for me. My ileostomy has too much output even if I don't have anything in my system for a while. So now to wait... The doctor said I might be able to have my reversal for it this Wednesday. I am excited about it but have to endure 3 more days of pain... !!!

Again thank you all so much!!!

Hugs Dee

Mrs.A

Wow, this Wednesday, that's great. I hope they can help take away at least some of the pain while you're at the hospital. Let us know how the reversal goes. We'll be rooting for you.

Babydoll

Thank you very much... Will do Mrs. A...

mikkiroxx

Hi, maybe some of these things can help with the redness around the stoma. I get that a lot. Some of the things I tried were calamine lotion. Put it on, let it dry. It dries quickly. On top of that, I put the liquid adhesive, then the stoma powder. Dust off excess powder. Put the barrier patch on, then the pouch. Also, there is Domeboro. It's kind of expensive, but when I use this, it soothes the pain. Walgreens or CVS sell it. It's for poison ivy and such. But a few times using this, my irritation cleared up. Hope you feel better. Also, there are Facebook groups that you can join that are very helpful. Good luck.

Babydoll

Thank you, I had to come to the hospital because it started causing very bad pain which barely allowed me to walk. I tried almost everything but finally today a wound care nurse came and changed it for me to something that can stop the pain in the meantime while I get my surgery done, crossing fingers hopefully this Wednesday. But thank you very much for responding, I really appreciate it and to everyone who did.

Thank you all again,

Dee

Desertmum

I have not heard of using seaweed in this way. Is it in liquid form? Bottle, powder, etc? Can I order this online, I wonder?

Raydog

Hi Babydoll. I hear you, and the pain that you are going through. I had the same problem the second time I was in the hospital. I went through 25 flange changes in 2 days. I was bleeding quite a bit. The reason for me was I was using one brand of flange and bag, and the hospital had changed to another brand. That was all it took. Later on, they put me on a double pic line, and I got my food that way. Might be an avenue for thought. I was fine when I was able to get back on my brand of flanges and bags. Hope this helps.

P.S. Do you have waste coming out of your bag? Could it be a blockage starting, and also, don't be afraid to use the stoma powder.

Ewesful

I think the problem is the bag -- I had the same problem for a month or more before I saw the ostomy nurse and she knew immediately that my stoma had changed enough so that I needed a convex pouch and for awhile I used the powder to clear up the blisters but after that never another one. Also cut the opening tight so you push the stoma in and it will not leak. I use SensaMio soft convex. I cannot say enough about how awesome they work and feel -- if you feel any itching or pain you need to change whatever bag you have on and air the stoma ---

To clear a serious blister- wipe the area and let it dry (Smith and Nephew brand works the best) then spread some powder, dust it off and add another round of the wipe and powder....it will help get the blister healing. If you let any of the stoma contents onto your skin; it will burn/blister as it contains serious acid that eats/burns the skin.

I wish you the best -- it will all sort out if the bag is the right kind for you.

BayGal

Hi Dee, I have had that and it was due to my eating habits. I was having too much spicy food.... I don't use the powder anymore due to that problem. I now use the paste and that works really well..... So happy for you having the reseval, please let me know how you get on as I am still trying to make up my mind on that but I am so scared... My thoughts and prayers are with you. All the best...

xx