Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,328 members

Muscle building diet advice

Posted by anthony_521, on Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 am

Hey, two part question about both bulking and cutting.

I've recently been thinking about entering a bodybuilding contest, I don't expect to win or anything its just something I wanted to do before and am now well enough to do, so I'm trying to shed some fat whilst maintaining my muscle, I've followed the standard advice of slowly decreasing my intake of carbs whilst maintaining the amount of fats and protein I consume however I've noticed that my energy levels have plummeted whilst doing this, realistically I need to shed more weight to look decent but not sure how I will be able to cope, anyone any tips on how to healthily raise my energy levels whilst carb cutting?

When not cutting I'm an avid powerlifter, I consistently hit a bodyweight plateau at 80kg, I'd like to gain some weight to help build some muscle and make it easier to hit some new pb's but I seem to be unable to gain weight no matter how much extra I eat, anyone have any tips, I currently already take a protein shake and creatine. Thanks!

Reply by Chaz88, on Thu May 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Nice, keep at it. I can tell you from experience that even though I haven't been able to get into the gym due to surgeries, I manage to gain whilst staying pretty cut.  My secret is most of what you described but with one key difference, I don't eat ANY added sweeteners.  None, brother.  No grain (still qinuoa, chickpea flour pasta, aka wheat & rice sub.'s) and no sweateners beyond dates, and only on occasion stevia.  This will keep any crashes at bay while still letting you load up on calories.  Like...1 cup of qinuoa 2 cups+ of water in a rice cooker.  Throw in some shrimp, whatever veg. ya like, set on white and wait 30 mins.  Stuff yourself without crashin' and take in a shit ton of protein.  I also try and stay away from dairy and red meat for protein.  Something about how plant based protein, while not as easily absorable, produces more nitrogen per gram.  And the lack of abosrability is also off set but simply taking in more.  Great for building, cause that just means more calories that plant based are pretty short on anyway.  Last, dairy is slightly acidic.  Wich means that while it often has vitamin D and protein in it, your body has to leach calcium from your bones to raise the PH back to where it can be absorbed, a taxiing process negated when you eat plant based protein. ...also you're shit won't smell quite as bad, lol.  Anyway, when I can lift again stay tuned, I'll pack on another 15 in no time, always do and I'm 30 now.  So best a luck brotha.

Reply by anthony_521, on Fri May 04, 2018 1:54 am

Thanks for the reply,

I hadn't thought of cutting sweeteners and grain out of my diet, I'll try that whilst loading up the calories and see how that affects my energy levels, I expected some side effects but considering I'm doing a gradual cut the crash has been to much, I dread what it would be like if I was to cut further ha.

I've been meaning to try going dairy free for a while, I have a j pouch and heard that dairy can have a negative effect on the pouch so hopefully this might spur me on to actually stick with it. 

Thanks again man, let me know how you get on once you've recovered and start hitting the gym again.

Reply by SURVIVOR#15, on Fri May 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Maybe you guys can help me !! I don't have problems with gaining muscle but what can I do to help me put on the pounds that I need. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . And Good Luck to you both in achieving your goals in Life ☝️'😎

Reply by anthony_521, on Fri May 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Hey survivor#15

So I'd recommend doing something similar to what I do and then tailor it to suit your lifestyle how serious you want to take it but by starting it you'll get an idea of how much you should be eating. 

Use an online calculator to work out how many calories you should be eating, if your gaining muscle you should be eating around a gram of protein for every lb you weigh, slightly less if not looking to gain muscle, you want to be hitting around 60 grams of fat and then the rest of your calories will be made up of carbs, the exact amount to maintain, less to lose weight and more to gain weight. This sounds like a lot of effort and you'd be right but its pretty handy in showing how much you should be eating, with us having digestive issues you may find you have to tweak how much you eat but this is something you have to work out yourself e.g are you hungry all the time, then your prob not eating enough

personally with exercising and cos of my j pouch I tend to break my meals up and eat around 5-6 smaller meals a day with snack and protein shakes thrown in, I'm not sure if you need to do the same with a colostomy, but it has helped my pouch, I tend to always stay off hunger by eating regularly so gas and things like that have really reduced, so if you struggle at all with that might be worth trying out.

Anyway, hoped that helped if you want to know anything else like what I specifically eat let me know.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 am

521 it’s kemo I keep and gain mussel mas on my dyet of meeat veges milk granola granola one meal a day drink a lot of juice eat a lot of Hershey’s chocolate 🍫 seuger onley makes your stool sticking to pouch.granola keeps stool formed tye che and isometrics only use the bar with out the bells I swing and play with a 12 lb sledgehammer holding it up over me keeps me in good body tone your energy you will have to take more brakes drink more juice no sodas 🥤 or alcohol 🍺 no sigz keep it simple good day mate 

Reply by SURVIVOR#15, on Mon May 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Thank You so Much Anthony !! I have a Ileostomy and I'm 6' 2" and weigh about 168. My ideal weight would Love to hit the 200 mark. I had Ulcerative Colitis at the age of 13 yrs old so I just never could get the weight on me. I did get close with the help of the Prednisone they had me on for awhile  but I would never tale steroids unless I had to for medical purposes. Thank You Again my Friend for your HELP and I will let you know how it goes Smile

Reply by medic361, on Tue May 08, 2018 10:57 am

Cutting carbs will help shed fat, but the carbs you eat need to be eaten at a time that will provide energy for your workouts. I try to workout in the mornings that way I am not eating carbs late in the day where they could become stored fat. 

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 am

I concur with that I have my meal 🥘 by 1 PM every day snack on granola and froot juice and water ' and plenty of it I run dry all morning and up to the time I start eating.then small movement then dry up until evening then a small movement then dry all night until after 6PM small movement then dry until I start the first meal 🥘 day in day out hope I have help you kemo jerz 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.