Partial Black Stoma - Urgent Help Needed!

Replies
Views
Simplepenguin

Hi there, sorry for the scary picture. It's my first post here. Has anyone seen anything like this? I've had my ostomy for about 4 years. My stoma is otherwise normal and healthy but today I noticed a fairly large portion of it coming out and it is obviously darker than the rest. I've emailed my nurse but it's evening here and I don't think she'll get back to me till tomorrow (hopefully).

The dark part is mostly soft but has firmness if pressed. It retracted when I put some cool water on it.

Thoughts on if this needs immediate medical attention?

Thanks very much

14jax71

From what I have been told, your stoma will be red/pink in color. If your stoma turns purple, black, or white, call your doctor. That doesn't look right to me.

I hope you get figured out.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,359 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Simplepenguin

Thanks. I hope it's all right. I'm gonna wait to hear from my nurse. But very strange how stoma seems healthy on the outside.

Bill

Hello Simplepenguin.  Definitely get it checked out! It might be something as simple as a burst blood vessel (a bit like a blood blister that will disappear on its own after while) but these are not the sort of things to delay seeking professional advice on.

Please update us on the outcome. 

Best wishes

Bill

Simplepenguin

Thanks, Bill. I will try to provide answers when I get them. It would be great if it was just a burst blood vessel.

Fingers crossed!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dadnabbit

Simplepenguin,

Good advice above. Any black, purple or white stoma is considered abnormal. The intestine can get twisted and die, and that will cause it to change color. BUT, it can also change color due to a blood vessel bursting as Bill stated, or from different medications. Have your surgeon look at it, and DON'T wait as it could be very serious.

Peace

Simplepenguin

I'm very disappointed with my nurse. She seems to think it was stool. It is definitely not stool.

She said if there's no pain, just monitor it.

Anyway, no definitive news to report.

Thanks for the advice and support everyone!

dadnabbit

Simple Penguin

Did it wipe away? If it is stool, it should wipe away and eventually push itself out of the stoma completely. Did the nurse see it or was she going by the photo and a phone call? Good luck

Peace

Simplepenguin

It did not wipe away at all. I sent the nurse a second video of me wiping it because it's easier to see that no stool ends up on the toilet paper. I don't know if she's even seen the video. She has not responded since Thursday.

I have not seen the dark part since Tuesday. So I haven't been able to re-evaluate it. Also, the stoma has not been enlarged at all (as it sometimes does). It seemed enlarged when my "dark passenger" appeared. (Dexter reference for any fans out there.)

I'll reply here when I have any answer.

Thanks again for the replies, suggestions, and support.

Past Member

Hi, it's been a year... How's your stoma going? My dad got redness on his stoma (like dark red). I got confused too because he said there is no pain at all. Thanks

warrior

And the plot thickens....no word for a year...hope he gets back to us. Mine turned out to be a blood vessel. Went away on its own. Hope he has the same luck!