Books on Depression Post-Medical Occurrence

In this discussion
Replies
Views
bukowski

Does anyone know of any books that deal specifically with the mental and emotional (depression and anxiety) recovery to health/medical circumstances? Most books mostly just deal with depression/anxiety in relation to life in general. Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi Pan Bukowski.  I'm sure there are tons of books regarding depression and anxiety with specific attention to physical traumas.  I Google everything these days and we might find references to the literature we're looking for.  We might also find some very helpful information and/or advice relative to these after effects.  My research led me to believe anxiety, depression, PTSD,. etc. are conditions to expect in varying magnitudes after going through all the crap we went through.  I also found some good advice right here on MAO from some kind, caring and very bright folks.  I think specific questions get more meaningful answers.  Please let us know what you find.  You'll help lots of us.

Respectfully,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello bukowski. You  ask a very specific question and it might be difficult to find books relating to that subject. However, there are a couple of things which might prove helpful. It is the sort of thing that people study for research degrees, so if you look for academic research papers, rather than books, you might fing what you are looking for. My second suggestion is that you might like to view the phenomenon as a natural reaction to a traumatic experience, which tends to be generic across different traumas.  There has been a wealth of material written in recent years, As Mike says, it's mostly under the heading Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PSTD). You are certainly not alone!

Best wishes

Bill 

Past Member

Hi Pan,

As several people have already pointed out, you certainly are not alone. I have severe PTSD from the whole experience and am trying to deal with it. I can't sleep worth beans at night. When I try to fall asleep, it all comes rushing back. My cancer doctor has prescribed Lorazepam, an anti-anxiety drug for me to take at night when I want to go to sleep. It helps, but I'm only supposed to take it every other night to avoid a physical addiction. So I only sleep semi-decently every other night. I'm hoping time will take care of the healing... eventually. Good luck to you.

Linda

Silveradokid

Hi Linda. Not trying to hijack this thread, but have you tried hypnosis? Sometimes the power of suggestion can be helpful...

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
vollovr

Yes, the Bible!!

vikinga

Hi,

I had two life-saving surgeries in 2012, had to relearn to walk 3 times, spent 6 months "on tour" in hospitals. I found that practicing gratitude for any and everything was key. I never heard the words UC until after my colon was removed. I spent a lot of time researching UC and what causes it. The best I could see was that inflammation is at the root, other than that they don't know what causes it. So I started researching how to treat my inflammation naturally. I started making myself an organic Turmeric Latte every morning first thing. That, together with other supplements, helped my recovery. I now don't feel any or see any inflammation from UC. I found empowering myself through my own research really helped. I also became the VP of our local ostomy support group to help others. And I teach a spiritual (ACIM) class at a local church. Getting out of feeling powerless and victim mentality is key. Helping others is key. What you focus on grows in power.

Past Member

I've tried hypnosis before when I was trying to quit smoking. I tried 2 different psychologists and a "party" hypnotist who didn't seem to have any trouble hypnotizing other people. None of the 3 could get me to go under. Seems I'm "unhypnotizable." So it goes. I am starting to sleep a little better these days, though. I don't need the lorazepam as much as I did in the first few months. It'll get better....eventually. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I appreciate it.

vollovr

Amen sister! The law of attraction, sowing positive reaps positive. Sow negative and reap negative. Hypnosis is demonic.

dls

I enjoyed reading all the suggestions, but I need real treatments I can try. I am only 3.5 months out of chemo. I had my cancer/hernia/colostomy surgery in Nov.'17. Now I am dealing with all the 'collateral damage' that my 'successful' recovery has caused. For the next six months, I have many follow-ups, tests, and procedures to be sure I am absolutely clear. While I am truly grateful for the incredible medical care, I now find myself in the worst state of depression and PTSD I've ever experienced. Twenty years ago, a traumatic event caused me to experience panic attacks, and eventually signs of PTSD and clinical depression. So, from that experience, I know that PTSD can be cured, as can panic attacks, neither of which I have had in over 20 years. With all the work, self-care, and record-keeping for a 'good result', plus the novelty of learning to address and take care of your stoma: trying all sorts of new products, reading everything you can find, you're too busy to reflect on much except pain management and healing.

Then it's over. Here I am, with no one except a book full of doctor appointments and procedure follow-ups. I wonder if any of it was worth it. Up to now 'Stomy' was not an issue. Now I hate this thing and everything about it.

POST SCRIPT: Don't address the 'clinical depression', I was born with it, as was my father. Thanks to his wisdom, that's one bullet I can dodge without drugs or therapy. It's hell, but it goes away in time. THE PROBLEM: all three of these hitting hard at once.

I will read any and all replies, this group has already taught me so much, I know there is a gem of wisdom out there I can't see in my current state.

freedancer

Hi, I had horrible depression and anxiety after both of my emergency surgeries. The second round was worse than the first and I am still dealing with it. You just gotta take each day one at a time and make the best of it. If it is any consolation, it does get better.

iMacG5

Hi Dis.  I think the gem(s) of wisdom were found already. You own them. You seem to have handled your situations so well with the documentation, follow ups, procedures and good, hard intellectual effort. You hate “Stormy” the way so many of us hate our things even though our lives might’ve been saved by them. Lots of us have gone through similar stuff and some of us were not able to handle it at all. Some did way better. We’re all different from each other and we feel things differently. In my opinion, you’re a very wise and determined Lady. You “listen” and you’re determined to make it all better. You will! Your patience and our contributions will help get you there.
Thanks for sharing.
Respectfully,
Mike

Past Member

I received my bag in March of 18. I decided to not be upset about it. I am beating cancer, and I will not allow cancer to beat me. The bag to me is as if I lost a limb. I don't complain about it. I brag about having 2 butts. This way I can now take a dump standing up. Less usage of the toilet paper, as well. I know someone who lives in Tonawanda, NY. Not certain if they are still there.

dls

Thank you for your positive and inspirational words. I'll keep plodding along, doing what I must to get and stay well. I am impatient for the day when the physical will not so dramatically affect the mental and emotional. At that point, I will be able to have a life, instead of sitting around like a pudding having to force myself to do the simplest, daily tasks.

Thank you again for your insight.

DLS

Past Member

Sorry to hear he was such a pain in the butt towards you. Even if mine leaves me due to my bag, I will be okay with it. I have learned to be prepared for the worst, while praying for the best. You are proving to him you are better than him. If he gives you a hard time, remind him he can kiss both of your butts!!!

dls

Hi, bit of misinformation or cross-messages. No one has left me due to my new rectum. I do not currently have a 'love interest' or partner. My husband died 17 years ago. Thanks for the advice--nothing goes to waste in this little brain. Will archive it for future broken hearts. DLS

EvaJean

It's not specifically related to health issues, but I highly recommend "Lost Connections" by Johann Hari. I haven't finished it yet, but everything I've read in it so far makes so much sense!

freedancer

Besides the fantastic folks I learned to love on this site, I got myself into counseling specifically for trauma and PTSD. My counselor is fantastic and has been very helpful to me. I still struggle with sleeping but I gotta take it one step at a time. I had to have two surgeries within 7 months for the same issue. I had my first ileostomy surgery for the traumatic bowel death and then the new ileostomy strictured and it had to be redone. I almost died both times. If you get into counseling, your counselor can help you find literature to help. Embrace this site and your life. You are here for a reason. God bless you! Pamela

dls

Hi freedancer, I'll get right to the point: personally, I have absolutely no respect for anyone involved in the mental health areas of medicine. Mental health applications are in their infancy--there is just too much we don't know. Many psychiatrists are downright dangerous with their cabinets full of psycho-drugs which they pass out like candy. I was almost killed by one of these so-called doctors.

I will talk to a counselor: if there are no drugs involved and they have a higher IQ than me. No joking, I have sat and listened to the most common sense, 'everybody already knows this' tripe being spouted by a so-called expert.

Someone wasted a lot of money on a useless education. My grandmother gave better mental health advice. I know of what I speak. An old high school friend of mine is a qualified M.D. in psychiatry, but never sees patients--live ones, that is, she does 'brain mapping' hoping to find causes and effects of certain behaviors. She never wants to 'practice' on living people. Like me, she will freely admit that mental health issues are the least reliable to treat, as they are so misunderstood and many have not yet been identified.

We are all different, and I am thrilled to hear that you found someone that's a real help to you. My wish is that it won't be long before you're happy and yourself again. DLS

Mrs.A

Hi there,

I have read and reread this quote and I'm wondering why you are feeling that you are only left "with no one except a book full of doctor appointments and procedure follow-ups. I wonder if any of it was worth it."

What is missing? What did you have before? It was worth it, those doctor appointments will be over and the follow-ups too. You can then move forward in whichever direction you choose. Life teaches us many things, some we learn easily and some not so easily. Whatever you are going through, I hope you know that you are worth it! Sometimes I have to accept what life deals out to me and sometimes it's harder, but it is what it is. I believe we are all here for a reason and we need to keep working out our life to find those reasons. Stay strong, everything will not always be the way it is now.