How much is enough?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ronjeff

My surgeon's PA told me that 1-1/2 pouches per day production is good. Also, consistency should be pudding-like. Some days are different than others.....plus when I need to be gone for a while, I will take Imodium and a Lomotil.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gemd

I can't recall the measurements but something like 1000ml? I could be totally off and it's not like I am pouring the contents into a measuring cup. But my Dr. said texture is most important, applesauce-y.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AquarianGirl

Hi,

I empty about 4-5 times per day and at least once during the night. I've had my ileostomy since 2005 and it's been consistent over these past 13 years. Output amount is really dependent on what your input is. On days when I don't eat much, there is less output.

I was told by my ET nurses never to take a laxative or anti-diarrhea meds (Imodium and the like) with my ileostomy.

If I find that eating rice, potatoes, and bananas will make for output that is more porridge-like. It's all a balancing act I find.

Brenda