Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,339 members

J pouch or end ileostomy as a FAP patient, please help

Posted by Blazee, on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Jenni thank you for replying to me! I would be interested in how many BMs you have on average per day and if you have to do special things after every BM (wet wipes, bidet etc.) to keep everything "okay"?

Reply by Miniroll, on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:02 pm

No problem!

it depends what you eat, how often & how much! I only avoid soups& lots of raw salad now but generally can eat much more than when I had Illeostomy bag which was risky for blockages.

i would say I go 1-2 times at night & upto 8 in the day but I’m only 5 mths post reversal & they say it takes 2 years to settle down. I use baby wipes at home but not usually when out unless I’ve brought some with me. I use ILEX barrier cream to protect the area. Fragranced wipes really sting!! I did buy a portable bidet for after the op & maybe used it twice! The early days are rough but small baths with Epsom salts in does wonders! & it heals quickly but then I had UC & have no colon or rectum so my issues may be different?

hope this helps & 😉 

Reply by Blazee, on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Thank you Jenni for the info! 8 during the day + 1-2 a night is a lot wow, even if you can hold it. Of course, my doc said if I go with it I should expect 6-7 BMs a day at minimum so I am not surprised. How can you go out for a longer period of time with that amount of BMs, I have no idea. Do you use that cream after every BM? Do you mean that you can eat more at once as opposed to with an ileostomy or more types of food? As far as I know, J pouch can have blockages too if you are not careful and both J pouch and ileostomy requires a diet, just different types maybe. I won't have a colon nor rectum either so I guess I would experience the same.

Reply by catboost19, on Wed May 29, 2019 2:45 am

If you had rectum removed how did they reopen back there

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.