Post-Op

Replies
Views
Albanian Girl

Hi everyone! I'm new here. Two months ago, I found out that I had FAP and that my colon was full of polyps. I had to remove all of my colon before it became cancerous. Two weeks ago, I had the surgery and now I have an ileostomy. Can you please help me or tell me what I should eat or drink during these first weeks? How is it to live with an ileostomy? And how does our life change after this?

Longroad78

I just have the same surgery on 9-10-18 because of UC and was in the hospital for 8 days before they released me. I lasted 2 days out of the the hospital before I made the mistake of snacking on some dry fruit and went to the ER because I had a blockage. Turned out when you first start out you need to eat a low fiber diet and chew, chew, your food. I have been eating pouched eggs and over cooked pasta with pasta sauce and started to add ground turkey into it for protein, jello is always good and seedless watermelon. With alot of the conditions people on this website had before their surgery there are food allergies that might have developed, even after the surgery still avoid those foods as you are trying to let your digestive system heal. You will need to add supplements (vitamins and minerals) to your intact because without your Large Intestine your body will have a little harder time absorbing nutrients. A good liquid multivitamin works great, if you start to have dry skin issues add some good fish oil to your diet. I have been doing good with over cooked yellow squash but i am peeling the skin and cutting out the seeds just in case, over cooking to allow it to be soft is a good idea. Avoid vegtables that have alot of fiber even when cooked. You will find alot of good information on diet on the websites forum. When it comes to drinking, water flavored with lemon juice or half sport drink, half water is good, no energy drinks and avoid sodas as the extra carbonation will give you gas and made your stoma talk more. Always drink to stay hydrated throughout the day and take a 1 liter bottle to bed and have it on the night stand to drink at night as you body is still adjusting, you might find that when you wake in the middle of the night you might feel strange and drinking liquid always corrected that throughout the night for me.

Always remember that after the surgery it is a healing process, you might notice tenderness, discomfort and feelings of muscle cramping at first. A lot of these things will go away with time, but it does take time. Per my doctor avoid picking up anything over 10 lbs to avoid a hernia and allow you muscles to heal after surgery. It is good to walk each day to keep your body from getting stiff and to allow your insides to move around. It helps to get the air out of your body after the surgery. I made the mistake of laying around a little at first and my back is a little stiff now from sitting around to much watching TV. Take it day by day and let your body heal

I see that for 20 years I living with UC and all of the discomfort and flare ups, with the food allergies, and joint pain, the panic running to the bathroom at a moments notice, the medication and side effects. When a person struggles with those things I see having a stoma and having to empty a bag is not to bad, and something that I can adjust to. I am starting my forty week and am already seeing the recovery and healing speeding up.

I wish you the best on your recover and hope the information I shared helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.