Exfoliating Stoma Skin: Necessary or Not?

Replies
Views
iMacG5

This is a question and definitely not a suggestion.  I guess I'm one of the more fortunate ones in that I don't get leaks and haven't had significant skin problems.  Now I need to knock on wood a few times.  What concerned me was the skin surrounding the stoma is constantly covered by some non-breathable material and/or liquid seal.  I wonder if that's OK over a long period of time or do dead skin cells collect and cause a potential problem.  I carefully exfoliate that skin about once a month with some off-the-shelf stuff that's gentle enough for facial skin.  That skin seems healthier now.

Mike

Morning glory

Hi Mike, interesting question. I have had my ileostomy since 1987 and never exfoliated. I just use plain water to clean my area. I guess that the washcloth does exfoliate enough. Hope there are more responses to your question. It will be interesting to see.

Rebecca

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

I've had my ileostomy since 1995 and I've never had an issue other than an allergic reaction to the tape that goes around the wafer. I use a soapy washcloth to take the pouch off and thoroughly clean the skin with soap and water, rinse the washcloth and wipe all the soap away, wrap some tissue around the stoma and blot the skin dry with a towel, air dry as well, and then throw on a skin prep and a new pouch goes on.

It's possible with the removal of the pouch that it also removes dead skin cells like getting a waxing. Just my 2 cents.

Bain

Angelicamarie

iMacG5... Wow, I haven't tried exfoliating the skin around the stoma. I also use a mild soap to clean after removing the barrier. I suffer with eczema, heck, I might try exfoliating. Hoping someone will respond, I too would like to know. Ty

Angel

Ophelia1221

I'll try it and get back to you. I have noticed that the skin is slightly darker than the rest.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Interesting to hear what different people do for their ileostomy. I've always wondered if the skin 'irritation' can be avoided. I'll keep my eye on this chat and see how beneficial exfoliating can be.

Changing the subject slightly, when you leave the hospital they tell you not to use so-called shower gels and things, and to shower and use shampoos and things with the bag on, and then remove the bag and clean the stoma itself.

I was wondering if any of you just take the bag off straight away and just use shampoos and shower gels as standard without any repercussions, i.e. stinging, damage to the stoma, etc?

Puppyluv56

Adam,

I shower with my pouch on. I use the two-piece. The pouch does get wet but dries out or I dry it with a hair dryer. I use normal shower gel and shampoo. I do, on occasion, when I need to change the flange and pouch, shower without it using the same products. It has never seemed to make any difference, but I do use the adhesive remover before reapplying the flange just as a precaution, and it cleans any soap residue too. Sometimes I think they just push specialty products that cost a fortune. There are people with sensitive skin that do require those products, but I have not been one of them.

Puppyluv

Past Member

I think I will begin to shower from the start with no bag in at all.. See what happens I guess

iMacG5

Just wanted to add a thought or two.  I use Convatec Sensi-Care Release spray or AllKare adhesive remover wipes.  Both do a very good job.  Then I use Ivory soap to remove the chemicals.  That's just for the skin around the stoma; the stoma seems to get clean with just water.  

With concerns about leaving the skin compleately covered 24/7, I would also be concerned if the frequency of appliance changes was excessive.  Hopefully we'll each find the perfect protocol for ourselves and share with all you folks.

Respectfully,

Mike

Newbie Dana

So fascinating to see how other people handle this! Ophelia, I noticed that the skin under the wafers is actually lighter than the rest! Which makes no sense at all either way, because it's not like it's being exposed to the sun! At any rate, I generally use the Uni-Solve adhesive remover wipes to remove the wafer when changing the whole appliance. It does have alcohol (which bothers some people), but that has never been a problem for me. It also has just a slight bit of some sort of oil in it, which helps remove the adhesive and is somewhat soothing to the skin. I then use a moist wipe (generic Kroger brand!) to wipe away all the oily residue before placing the new wafer.

I don't use a washcloth, because I have a tendency to blorp unexpectedly sometimes while changing the appliance, which is also why I never shower without the appliance and bag in place - I do not want to have to clean the whole shower stall!

Nicholoffs

I shower with it and with it off...I use Ivory soap on a clean wash cloth and wash around my stoma. I never had a problem...I change my pouch every 2 or 3 days....

Oaksun

I have had my colostomy for 30 years. No skin problems. About 3 years ago, I developed a red wet rash from another ostomy site. Someone recommended using Head and Shoulders classic shampoo and Boudreaux Butt paste (diaper rash cream), and within a week, the rash was gone. I will use the Head and Shoulders daily and the Butt paste maybe once a week. The skin around my stoma looks great now.

Poopsie

AdamH, there is a slight risk that getting shower gel etc. on the skin around the stoma will cause your flange to not stick well. But when I shower with the bag off, I find that a good rinse of the stoma and surrounding area gets rid of any gel or shampoo residue.

Puppyluv56

I shower with it most days, but I change the wafer and pouch every 6 days. That being said, on the day I irrigate, I shower without it, but just after irrigating, so I have never had any accidents in the shower. I use a soft soap shower gel and have had no problems yet. I do use the adhesive remover all around the stoma after I shower, though, in case there is any residue. I have never lost a bag yet! Lol

Good luck with whatever you try!

Puppyluv

Friendly kk

Hi Friendly KK here, could someone please tell me why my bags are coming off? I use a holster 2 piece. Also, the powders, the prep skin spray, and I have been waiting until the skin is dry and also tried to warm up the area with the hair dryer. At this time, the area is very irritated with red patchy spots. I am trying to get my liquid to solidify, but at this time I have not had any luck. Taking three different medicines to help, but so far not anything has. Also, the stoma seems to hurt and produce more liquid when I have to have a fluid given. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Puppyluv56

Wow. I have not found the use of any additional products to keep the pouch on. Mine has been pushed up from pancaking but has not done that in a long time. I too thought I wanted solid stool but that caused all my leakage so I am glad to have the liquid output. Much easier to empty and no fear of pushing under the wafer. I do use an adhesive remover wipe and let that dry and reapply the flange. As added protection, I do use a Y barrier strip to give me peace of mind but am thinking I may even stop them except when traveling or doing activities I may need extra protection. It does cover even more skin than the wafer! You may be having a reaction to something you are using. If your skin is sore and has bumps, it may be releasing some moisture to cause your problem. Hope you find the fix. I am sure that is painful as well!

Puppyluv