Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,873 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,873 OstoMates.

Eating

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Hello -- I'm 73 have had my eliostomy bag since April 18. I was concerned at first as to what I can and cannot eat. Presently I eat anything I like. If the food is spicey (which I love) I'll pay for it later as it will bother my stoma. Other than that I find if I chew my food really good I don't have any problems at all. I love salads, pasta, pizza and occasionally mexican except I stay from the hot sauce!

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 pm

ileostomies seem to more effected by spice and fiber than a Colostomy! I eat anything with a Colostomy! 

Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Less Pressure More Protection
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:38 am

I have always had problems with strong spices, but that has nothing to do with having a stoma as I suffered in this way before. I also have problems with many preservatives, which is a nuisance because nearly all prepared foods have them in. It forces me to prepare my own fresh food, which may  not be a bad thing, except it tends to be much less convenient. - I suppose that's why they call them 'convenience foods'.

Best wishes

Bill 

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:21 am

I used to not be able to eat hardly anything after my first surgery in July of 2017. Then, after 7 months of losing weight and being in constant pain it was discovered my first stoma strictured and all my intestines were swollen and ready to burst.  I had already lost my colon and was endangered once again with death.  After another emergency surgery in February 2018, it was rebuilt and now I can eat almost anything I want.  For some reason I cannot eat carrots.  No matter how much I chew them and even though they are cooked soft, they block me so I stay away from them.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:21 am

I used to not be able to eat hardly anything after my first surgery in July of 2017. Then, after 7 months of losing weight and being in constant pain it was discovered my first stoma strictured and all my intestines were swollen and ready to burst.  I had already lost my colon and was endangered once again with death.  After another emergency surgery in February 2018, it was rebuilt and now I can eat almost anything I want.  For some reason I cannot eat carrots.  No matter how much I chew them and even though they are cooked soft, they block me so I stay away from them.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:56 pm

I have the same issue with my ileostomy and certain foods. When I got it 9yrs ago I was told that I had to remain on a moderate fiber diet...I could no longer have things such as lettuce...raw veggies...even chinese veggies. Haven being told that by my surgeon I stayed away from each of them along with popcorn (which I love) and cashews (which I also love). When I joined this site I met a great friend who told me that I didnt have to stay away from these things. I began experimenting with things like cabbage (in eggrolls and boiled with corned beef) and popcorn. The only thing I havent dare try isettuce as I did while in the hospital about 3yrs ago and it gave me horrible cramps...so I am really afraid to give it a try again.

I have eaten spicy food but only on occaision because...like you...my little appendage does not enjoy it when I do.

I guess all we can do is continue to experiment and see what works and what doesnt. When you eat lettuce in your salads does it bother you at all?

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:34 pm

I haven’t had any food to bother me! Kinda wish suger did so I would not have gained so much weight over the holidays! Damn Christmas cookies! Lol paying the price and dieting now! 

pup

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.