Hi

Replies
Views
1smile

Just wanted to say hi to everyone and whatever life throws at you..you got this and will be okay

NewlifeVictoria

Hi Sweetie Thank you How are you? '‍

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Russ
I've had an illeostomy for 20 years, but still have anxiety about leaks, etc... especially when traveling. It still plays a big role in my life, but wouldn't be alive without it... so I've got that going for me. Fortunately or unfortunately (depends on how you look at it) I''m going to be single again. After my last hospitalization for a blood clot in my left leg (residual from damage done from chemo and radiation long ago) my ex-wife stated that she didn't want this anymore so here I am. I have two beautiful kids and a great career which keep me going as well as my faith... trying to stay positive. I just found this group after 20 years of being alone with my illeostomy and not having anyone to talk to with similar feelings and concerns! I wish I had know about this forum sooner
1smile

Hi back at you sweetieiam doing ok hope your day or night will be good.. looks like you live in New Jersey that's a big time difference from sunny California

1smile

Hi Russ..hang in there..I've only had my ileostomy for almost 4 years and it can get though but we are some strong people and can get through those! My ex also left me so I understand that. Oh boy the leaks I think it just comes with our lives now. Take care of you

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Russ

Thanks for the reply. Yep, life can be rough, but with everything I've been through, it's definitely made me stronger and can endure just about anything that's thrown my way. I appreciate you and being able to talk to someone who knows what it's like makes a huge difference. Take care of yourself!

Puppyluv56
Hi Russ,
Glad you finally found us! Love this site for lots of great advice, sometimes more honesty then one is prepared for! Lol 20 years is a long time to go without support! Would not have known what I would have done without my Ostomate friends!
You have had it tough! Hate that people bale on us when we need them most! I am glad to have a supportive Husband even if he is rather removed from any day to day care but then I am very independent and would not want him involved there!
Glad you have your kids and faith!
Glad to see you here and will look forward to further posts!
Puppyluv
Puppyluv56

You know, I no longer worry about leaks because I have not had one in so long. What I fear most is my pouch filling up and needing to empty. The odor is so bad and lingers so anywhere but home is stressful. I irrigate but still have output mainly due to radiation. Getting better!

I have tried it all! Nothing really works! Any new suggestions to help with odor? All comments welcome!

Puppyluv

looking forward
get one of the sprays that you carry with you and spray into the toilet
Puppyluv56

Looking,

Thanks. Do you have one that actually works? I have tried most brands and even made my own and I agree that it helps but does more of slightly masking the odor, not eliminating it! Be nice to find something that completly gets rid of it! Nothing worse than having to empty a pouch in public or at a friend's house!

puppy

Russ

Hi, I think I read on one of the posts that someone recommended simply add a small amount of baking soda with each emptying. I'm going to try that at home and see if it helps any. -Russ

Puppyluv56

Thanks Russ,

That was also recommended to me but I found that it clumped like the absorbent crystals do but may go back and try that again! I am irrigating but with just having Radiation, kind of unpredictable right now!

Puppyluv

looking forward
use one of those potty sprays carry it in your purse and spray into the toilet before you empty
Puppyluv56

Looking,

i do the poopourri spray and that seems to be the best yet! Even made my own with lemon oils and alcohol. And Cinnamon ones too! Need some new scents! Airwock actually puts out a poo stay in Lavendar and that seems to be pretty good to! Cheaper than the novelty gift ;stores I have bought from in the past!

Pup

Little Lulu

My ostomy nurse suggested dropping a couple of tictacs in my bag after emptying. It doesn't totally eliminate the odor, but it does help. It's cheap, too!

Puppyluv56

That tic tac is a popular method! Wish something really worked! All of it works a little! I am not going to buy all that simply safe or lubricants gels with scent! Waste of money! Who know, we keep trying different stuff and may find the one that really works!

Pup

Mrs.A

I've found pure drop hanging in the tissue aisle at my local big box store. It works and is small enough to keep in your purse. Amazon also carries it. Cost is around 3 dollars for 0.67 fl.oz.

Puppyluv56

Mrs.A,

the name of the product is Pure Drop ? I will have to look for it. Which store did you find it in?

Puppyluv

spyder

Try a few drops of eucalyptusoil in the bag after emptying