Air Travel with an Ostomy: Tips for TSA Checkpoints and High Output

Replies
Views
christielou

I'm still on vacation. Had an 11-hour flight. TSA, no questions. I prayed for no leaks. Those BRs are so small. All went well. Travel back home soon. Hope all goes the same.

dmo101

Home!! I printed that little blue card and handed it to the TSA agent when I stepped into the full-body scanner. One airport gave me the complete pat down and hand wipe. The other airport just patted me twice and asked me to touch my bag. I think the little blue card helped.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

newnormal

Thank you all!!! I printed out the UOAA blue card and laminated it.

Cylingpilot

Get TSA Precheck. Unless you're pulled for a random screening, you won't have to go through the imaging machine and have to explain that thing you're hiding below your belt. Even then, simply tell them you wear an intestinal ostomy, they'll ask to pat it and also ask if it will hurt. You'll laugh, they'll make you touch it outside your clothing and then swipe your hands for explosives. Not a huge deal, but Precheck will avoid all that most of the time.

As for output, watch your intake unless you want to be emptying in a small airliner lav. I avoid the germs whenever possible. I pilot small airplanes long distances (four hours sometimes) and as long as I'm careful, I can stretch it with my ileostomy....eat foods that are solid consistency.

csteven

I live in Malaysia and fly frequently to underdeveloped countries. When I fly out of non-capital cities in underdeveloped countries, I get inspected. Be prepared to lift your shirt in a public place. The inspectors aren't as sophisticated, trained, paid, or fluent in English as in the West. I had to show it when flying from Langkawi Island to Kuala Lumpur (domestic flight). I'm a male. That said, the inspector was very polite, apologized, and waved me through after I showed him. Malaysian people are very nice.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister