Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Air travel with an ostomy

Posted by christielou, on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:14 pm

Im still on vacation.  Had an 11 hour flight. TSA no questions.  I prsyed for no leaks. Those BR are so small. All went well. Travel back home soon. Hope all goes the same

Reply by dmo101, on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:34 pm

HOME !!   I printed that little blue card and handed to the TSA agent when I stepped into the full body scanner. One airport gave me the complete pat doen n hand wipe.  The other airport just patted me twice and asked me to touch my bag.  I think the little blue card helped.

Reply by newnormal, on Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:39 am

Thank you all!!! I printed out the UOAA blue card and laminated it. 

Reply by Cylingpilot, on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Get TSA Precheck. Unless you’re pulled for a random screening you won’t have to go through the imaging machine and have to explain that thing you’re hiding below your belt. Even then, simply tell them you wear an intestinal ostomy, they’ll ask to pat it and also ask if it will hurt. You’ll laugh, they’ll make you touch it outside your clothing and then swipe your hands for explosives. Not a huge deal, but Precheck will avoid all that most of the time. 

As for output, watch your intake unless you want to be emptying in a small airliner lav. I avoid the germs whenever possible. I pilot small airplanes long distances (four hours  sometimes) and as long as I’m careful i can stretch it with my ileostomy....eat foods that are solid consistency   . 

Reply by csteven, on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 am

I live in Malaysia and fly frequently to under-developed countries. When I fly out of non-capital cities in under-developed countries I get inspected. Be prepared to lift your shirt in a public place. The inspectors aren't as sophisticated / trained / paid / fluent in English as in the west. I had show it when flying from Langkawi island to Kuala Lumpur (domestic flight). I'm a male. That said, the inspector was very polite, apologized, and waved me thru after I showed him. Malaysian people are very nice. 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.