Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,178 members

Showering Tip Question

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Posted by Longroad78, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 am

When I had my surgery I did not prepare myself for a life having a ostomy bag 24/7. When I first took my first shower at the hospital the nurse got me a plastic bag and medical tape, at the house I was using glad wrap and tape but I found a product on Amazon called "Ostomy Bag Cover & Open Wound Shower Guard" has anyone else found other products that they use to allows them to take a hot shower at the end of the day and protect the wafer that sticks to the skin and ostomy bag?

Reply by xnine, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 am

I made a little shower curtain, apron. Works for me. Does not keep it completely dry but keeps the direct spray away. I often get 10 days on my flange.

Reply by ron in mich, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 am

Hi Longroad i just tape around the edges of the wafer with that pink waterproof tape.

Reply by Longroad78, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone, hope everyone keeps adding to the topic to help everyone with the new change in life. 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Hey,

i use nothing, just get into the shower and avoid the soap getting on the flange too much. It gets really wet but I use the hair dryer to dry the pouch and the flange after my shower. I started that because of wet coming thru my clothes if if did not. Maybe the heat from it helps to reseal if there is any weakness from the shower. Never had any issues! 

Puppyluv

Reply by Donleo, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:59 pm

I use a garbage bag and tuck it to an extra ostomy belt. I.  Also.  Use some transpore tape which is. Inexpensive ay Walmart. 2 for 3 dollars, to ressecure any loose ends.good luck.

Reply by dadnabbit, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:44 pm

I shower naked and change my pouch every day.  I don't use anything other than a barrier wipe to protect the skin and a sen sura mio open end pouch.  No wafers, but if it's too humid I use some cloth medi tape around the bag edges for more security.  For me less is more but I insist on changing every day. If I am having company I put a few drops of essential oils in the pouch to avoid any odor.   Good luck.

Peace

Dadnabbit

Reply by BeachRN, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 am

Good morning. I use a one piece Mio appliance #10471 from Coloplast. I don't use a wafer and I shower every two days without any covering to my stoma. I also wash my stoma with head and shoulders shampoo because it has zinc oxide as an ingredient. I have never had any irritation around my stoma site. It looks very healthy. I hope this helps.

Reply by Newbie Dana, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:53 am

I start by ALWAYS using an Aqua Seal (very thin, flexible, waterproof) by Costa medical over my wafer before I attach my pouch. The peace of mind it gives me, especially during hot humid summers, is worth every penny! If I have a pouch I want to keep dry after that, I usually use a plastic grocery bag and tie the ends beneath the pouch/wafer. If I intend to change the pouch after my shower, I don't even bother with that. I never have issues with the wafer loosening with the Aqua Seal on.

Reply by BeachRN, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:56 am

I do basically the same routine as you. It works so well and you feel so clean. Thank you for your message. Beach RN

Reply by VeritasSeeker, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 pm

I use a one piece sensura mio from coloplast. I tape the edges with Hypafix Tape. I shower every day, sometimes twice. When I go to the beach, I just get in and swim/snorkle for hours. I don't do anything to the appliance and I regularly get 7-8 days of wear which I attribute to the taped edges. 

Reply by becrhomat, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 pm

I use glad press and seal

Reply by RissyLauren, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:29 pm

I highly recommend blow drying your ostomy after a shower. It can help with possible skin irritation. Smile 

Reply by Jamcoop1, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi!  My husband uses a plastic shower cap (it already has fitted elastic) to cover his appliance and uses paper medical tape to further secure the shower cap from moving.  Works great!!

Reply by Longroad78, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks everyone for the many replies, this type of information is helpful and can help new people to the site on the changes to their routen now with a ostomy

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.