Colonoscopy Prep with an Ostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
hunter22

Hello all.... My question is about prepping... I have a colonoscopy scheduled in a couple of weeks... How the heck do you handle the prep with the bag?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Hunter,

I have used a regular pouch for this, but it's easier if you use an irrigation sleeve. I find I prefer the Hollister irrigation sleeve. Either way, stay close to the bathroom. When you put on a new appliance for the day of the colonoscopy, use a pouch that opens from the bottom. That way, the doctor will be able to go up through the pouch without you having to remove it. Hope things go well.

Laurie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
xnine

I have a few drainable pouches just for that. Once you run clear or near clear, you are likely done. You will not have any output for a while after you finish. The doc took my pouch off for the procedure. He put me out, so you cannot drive after.

iMacG5

Hi Hunter..  Good advice from Laurie and X.  I wear a 2-piece so they just remove the pouch for the procedure.  You'll be fine.

Mike

spader

I stop eating hard-to-digest foods 3 days prior and use a drainable bag.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister