Best shaving options for sensitive skin around stoma?

Replies
Views
Beth22

I need to shave around my stoma but not sure what to use? I read an electric razor and the one I got I tested it on the opposite side of my stomach and it's pulled my hair .. my stoma nurse had said I could use a regular razor but I am not comfortable with that and I am prone to razor burn and have sensitive skin... What does everyone do / use? Would love any advice and suggestions please.

xnine

I do not have much hair so just leave it alone.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I use a cheap battery-operated bikini shaver. I think they're $10-15. Wash the area, let it dry, shave, rinse again, and let it dry well before applying your stuff. This is the one I use.

Past Member

I've used hair removal cream in the past as advised to do so by a nurse. It did a good job, just seemed to take too long putting it on then having to wait a few minutes for it to work for my liking. I use tweezers now, just spend a few minutes each bag change popping hairs out. I find it very therapeutic and hair grows back slower.

Past Member

I can't find the 'ouch' emoji!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Lol....it never hurt. I'm a wimp. I would be the first to scream if it had, lol.

Abefroman1969

I use a nose hair trimmer and it works great.

Beth22
Reply to Anonymous

Damian, I have to agree with Sally. Ouch... doesn't it hurt? And irritate your skin?

Beth22
Reply to Abefroman1969

I hadn't thought of that one. Thank you.

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

Alex T

I have seen this one online and in store. I was wondering about it. Question: does it take it low enough? The little hair I have on my stomach will start to get irritated and drives me nuts, and it pulls like a son of a gun with my wafer. I go slow and use a remover wipe, but it still pulls, lol.

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

It gets it low enough for me to not be a bother.

Beth22

Sweet!! Thank you and it's affordable .. I will give it a shot

HenryM
Reply to Abefroman1969

You could use some anatomy lessons, buddy.  LOL

HenryM

I use a cheap plastic safety razor.

Abefroman1969
Reply to HenryM

It actually works quite well and was suggested by my stoma nurse who specifically told me not to use hair remover or razors.

You are correct though, I could use anatomy lessons. I don't want to block Alex and ask any of the ladies here for help though.

Justbreathe

Fortunate for me, I have no belly hair (got plenty on my chinny-chin-chin though - lol) and I am wondering if those little pink lady shavers they sell now for facial hair might be gentle enough for a belly? They are pretty handy - they come in a 5-pack.

Beth22
Reply to HenryM

It doesn't irritate your skin, Henry?

Beth22
Reply to Abefroman1969

A beforeman, your stoma nurse never suggested an electric razor?

Beth22
Reply to Justbreathe

Just breathe, lol. Well, to be so lucky... I know which ones you are talking about. I had looked at those too, along with the one Alext had posted. I just have no idea which to use. They said electric razor, and then my stoma nurse said electric. Then, at the next appointment, they said a regular razor. That's why I am asking y'all on here. Y'all have done it and tried different things.

Beth22
Reply to HenryM

Henry, I am a bit scared to shave around the stoma. It might sound silly... I don't know how close to shave around the stoma either. I don't want to accidentally cut Briella (my stoma).

StPetie

I'm a little late but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway. I've used a Microtouch Solo for about 3 years now. As I have a couple of extra items stuck to my abdomen, all the hair has to go. The Solo is easy to use, gives me no skin issues or discomfort, and has decent battery life. It doesn't shave as close as a regular razor with a blade, but it's close enough for me to use on my face (neck and cheekbones anyway) if I don't feel like shaving.

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

That one I posted allows you to get very close to your stoma.

Abefroman1969
Reply to Beth22

The hospital stoma nurse probably did recommend an electric razor. I was so mad and in such a dark place about being forced into the ostomy because my doctor refused to listen to me about what had worked for the past 30 years when I had issues. I pretty much ignored her. If I hadn't brought a friend to that pre-op appointment, I wouldn't have known how to do a damn thing after I got home. My in-home stoma nurse suggested the nose hair trimmer and I listened to her finally, and now I have a great relationship with them both. But I was so, so angry at first. I didn't listen to anyone until after the surgery, and it was compassionate nurses that made me want to actually live after the procedure. I was having serious doubts prior to the operation and was reading books about self-deliverance.

Beth22
Reply to AlexT

Oooo, thank you AlexT. That is really good to know. I do have to ask, how close are you allowed and supposed to shave near the stoma?

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

I shave right up to mine.

Past Member
Reply to Beth22

I am so glad I don't have to shave around my stoma. The thought just makes me nervous.

drew400

I use a regular disposable razor when I'm in the shower after soaping up the area with regular soap. Just shave lightly so you don't irritate the area, it doesn't have to be a super close shave.

Axl

Hi Beth

I'm not hairy at all, but when needed I just use a cheap disposable razor and if there is some too close to the stoma for the razor... tweezers...

They do make razors for sensitive skin, just wash the area well afterwards in case the razor lube strip leaves any residue that might compromise adhesion.

Axl

Past Member

Just a regular razor for me, never had any issues. Have found that shaving before putting it on definitely helps it stick better though.

Beth22

Sally, I am with you. LOL, I am nervous.