Workout and Ruptured Prolapse

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Coinchaser

Hi everybody.

I was wondering what kind of exercise you do.

I have my permanent ileostomy since September 2019 and never had any issues. The area does swell up and gets hard when I walk too much (like a day of shopping). But I had that issue since I had the temporary ostomy.

So I want to lose a few pounds and read that jumping rope is a low-impact cardio exercise that is perfect for ostomates.

So I bought one and 15 seconds in, I get a stabbing/cramp-like feeling. Kind of like being hit by a baseball bat in the abdomen.

I bend over, and in a reflex, I put my hand over my stoma. It was enormous. I peek in the bag and it looked like a very bloody massacre.

I go to the ER and it turned out I had a prolapse and it also ruptured. I was lucky enough they were able to stitch it back together. But that luck only lasted for a few days. Three days later, I wake up to popped stitches and I had emergency surgery. They removed about 10cm of intestine and made a new ostomy in the same place.

It doesn't hurt since they could do it from the outside and they didn't have to open me up. But I am very afraid something like this will happen again. My surgery report said that I have a VERY thin abdominal wall (doesn't surprise me, family history of hernias).

But what kind of exercise would be safe? Is belly dancing okay? Or could this also cause swelling like walking does?

Do hernia belts help to prevent this kind of stuff?

I have a full-time desk job, so exercise is needed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi Coin, with your history, I would hesitate to recommend any kind of exercise beyond walking. I'm not saying you shouldn't do any, just that I think you need professional advice. You don't want to risk another prolapse or rupture. Do you have an ostomy nurse you can talk to? Or your surgeon? Even without the thin abdominal wall, you need to be careful. I hope you can find some good advice.

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Meadow Snow

Yeah, like Terry already said, if I were you I'd get advice from my surgeon or stoma nurse before doing anything beyond walking. Obviously, you want to make sure you don't do yourself more damage. Good luck, hope everything goes okay from here.

SallyK

So sorry this happened. Unfortunately, I have no advice on this as I just walk daily. Good luck to you.