Stoma complications: Considering reversal surgery

Replies
Views
sweetemma

Bob,

Thanks so much for going out of your way to help me with this situation. I called Linda Zech RN this morning and left a message, just waiting for a callback. A sample would be great if they could provide it, at least to try.

sweetemma

Although I didn't have Desitin on hand, I used the Zincofax last night and this morning and the area has greatly improved.   Not enough to apply a bag but better than other solutions I have tried.   Thanks so much for your suggestions, I will keep you posted.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

looking forward

Please do not get a reversal. I did years ago and it does not last. Doctors today do not want patients to do this. I use Liberator. The people there know a lot and can send samples of what they think you should use. I do understand the "mess" you are in. Aren't we all?

2marilyn2

Hi sweet Emma,

As regards to your CT Scan, I was told by my Consultant that under no circumstances anyone with an ostomy should drink the prep required for these scans as it would play havoc with your output possibly causing bad vitamin and mineral deficiency! Your situation might be different from mine but it might be wise to ask the question before drinking the prep! Just a thought, good luck with everything else!

sweetemma

Luckily, before the CT scan, I checked with my surgeon explaining the disaster it would create with drinking contrast prep without an ostomy bag, and she assured me that the test could be done with an IV contrast only. I had the scan yesterday via IV, which still produced plenty of liquid output. I have to flush out the contrast with plenty of liquids over the next 48 hours. Thanks for commenting, I appreciate your thoughts.

Deb

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hey Deb,

It's been a little bit... how are you making out? Is your skin healing? Let us know.

Thanks,

Bob

sweetemma

The skin never ever healed. I had the last of my tests (CT Scan) to see if it was a go-ahead for reversal surgery and at the same time was booked to see my surgeon on October 1st.

I've decided to go ahead with the stoma reversal where she will repair the large parastomal hernia underneath my stoma at the same time. My surgery is booked for October 18th, only a few days away. I'm exhausted and frustrated at this moment having to deal with this mess and frustrated that wound nurses, or community RN's weren't even able to come up with any solution. I eventually heard from Nu Hope just the other day, but it was too late. The Nu Hope RN gave me some tips about my hernia repair post-surgery, so that was helpful, and assured me once the reversal surgery is over, the skin around my stoma should clear up fast due to no feces.

Thanks for everyone's help, and wish me luck on the reversal. I will keep in touch.

Deb

Bill

Hedllo Deb. 

Of course we wish you 'luck' for your operation. However, I hope it isn't  just luck that you need but a good surgeon and a positive outcome. 

Best wishes

Bill

w30bob

We're all pullin' for you, Deb!! Speedy recovery!

Regards

Bob

sweetemma

Thanks for all the prayers, Deb

kangaroo

Partial colostomy reversal question:
Hi. I am new to this site. Curious about what operation you had reversed. I have a partial colostomy, and am thinking about having it reversed. Surgeon said he has to check me out better to see if mine can be reversed, but said it's probably possible. He did say it would be a tough surgery. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a partial colostomy reversal. Thanks.