Hartmann’s Reversal

Replies
Views
Differentclass

Hi everyone. I’ve been trolling the posts to get some info. Huge shock when I had an emergency Hartman’s on September 9th due to diverticulitis, In hospital for 3 weeks with n/g tube for most of that. My surgeon has now agreed to try a reversal robotically but he has frightened me to death with all the stuff that can go wrong! I am hoping to hear from you guys who have been through this procedure, hopefully successfully, and how the experience went. Thank you in advance.

warrior

That's very good that your surgeon opened up to you and explained all the gruesome details. most Physicians don't do that ..they say you will be fine but as long as you stay here on this website you'll get a few answers and you can make an informed decision.. personally I think pouches fail.. I think your best bet would be just staying with the bag but that's my opinion.. there will be several others who agree and several others who don't.. but the fact is if he's going to set up a pouch or do a direct connect?  you have to find out what's going on with that.. I've heard of direct connect where they take the small intestine and just connect it to the large intestine. but I don't know if you still have a large intestine.. it sounds like you do which is fine ..so you have a direct connect or you have a pouch and quite honestly from what I've been reading pouches fail ..it might take five years it might take 2 weeks I don't know.. you can develop an infection.. I just don't like anything surgically built inserted into my body like that.. I'm sorry I wish I had more information but  people here will chime in and please heed their advice, research it , question your doctor some more and also the surgeon?? do you feel comfortable with him?? is he experienced?? it's really up to the surgeon how well he performs the task and then it's just up to you recovering ..

best of luck.. I hope you make an informed decision.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Newhere

Hello I had emergency surgery in January this year, for a perforated bowel due to diverticulitis, Hartmans procedure. I had the bag until August this year, Then had reversal,  Which was another open sugery. So that was about 18 weeks ago now, I was back to normal after about 3weeks. But like Warrior said we are all different.  Any questions feel free to ask,

Differentclass
Reply to warrior

Hi. Many thanks for your reply. There has been no mention of a pouch, the surgeon is joining the two ends of the large colon together again and closing the stoma………at least that is the plan. I am having a virtual colonoscopy on 22nd December to check all is intact and no diverticulitis, which was the reason for my colostomy. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Differentclass
Reply to Newhere

Thanks for your reply Newhere. I am very nervous about the whole procedure as the emergency Hartmann’s for diverticulitis was so traumatic - I’d never heard of diverticulitis before! I hate living with my stoma but it has saved my life so I love it for that. I was told at the outset it was reservable and have been clinging to that, probably wrongly! It is great to hear from someone who has had a successful takedown and I would be very interested to hear about your experiences. I am having a virtual colonoscopy on 22nd December to check on the plumbing and hoping to get a date soon (although I am terrified).

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

G-Day Differantclass,  I would think twice about having it done. Do a lot of homework about reversals, and If I can help I will contact you on Private Message if it's OK with you. Let me know?  Regards IGGIE

Differentclass
Reply to warrior

Thanks Warrior, but the decision is made and I will be going ahead with the reversal, that’s why I am hoping to hear from others experiences who have gone through the same.

Differentclass
Reply to IGGIE

Hi IGGIE, but the decision is made and I will be going ahead with the reversal, that’s why I am hoping to hear others experiences who have gone through the same.

warrior
Reply to Differentclass

🤞my fingers are crossed. 

you are getting a direct connect.

a first i have ever heard of. now the student becomes the teacher.

looking forward to hearing your journey.

blessings.

oh a quick edit. you should announce its a direct connect no pouch.might get better response.

Newhere
Reply to Differentclass

Hi again Differentclass, I understand you are nervous about reversal, I know I was. Emergency surgery is just that, I spent a week in ICU and another 8 nights in the genral ward after that with my first sugery, 

The reversal was way less traumatic, even though they had to remove a bit more of the colon, I felt so much better than the first time, The colonoscopy is a walk in the park, Keep us posted on your progress. Bill.

Differentclass
Reply to Newhere

That’s so good to hear Newhere. I hope you are continuing to enjoy life to the full and everything has returned to ‘normal’? I was in hospital for 3 weeks with my first surgery and lost tons of weight. Did you have a nasal/gastro tube after your takedown? I’m trying to prepare myself for the post op recovery. It’s been only 3 months since my emergency op but I’m feeling well at the moment (apart from the bag which I will never get used to), but I realise for a lot of people the bag is permanent. I’m hoping there are no complications and the procedure can be done robotically, avoiding the open surgery with my initial op. Wishing you all the best.

Newhere
Reply to Differentclass

Yes i did have the NG tube for the reversal, but only for 3 or 4 days, Horrible things they are, And thanks yes life is good, Take care.

Differentclass
Reply to Newhere

That’s brilliant Newhere. I’m having a virtual colonoscopy tomorrow and what a performance with the drinks that clear you out! They should have warned me it would be an eruption within 20 minutes of taking it! I’m hoping if the colonoscopy is clear they will get me in for the reversal January/February - that all depends on junior doctors strikes in the uk.

DexieB
Reply to Differentclass

I also had emergency surgery May 28 (due to perforation caused by a biopsy) - lost 40 lbs and spent 21 days in the hospital, went home with a colostomy.  I still have nightmares about the NG tube!  My takedown on January 30 will be robotic-assisted.  I am also terrified, but they say it will be easier than my first surgery.  3 months was not that long ago so it is still fresh in your mind - I totally understand your fear!  Thinking of you and wishing the best for you :) 

Differentclass
Reply to DexieB

Hi Dexie. I’m waiting for a date now, yours seems similar to mine. My surgeon is also doing robotically assist reversal, assuming all is good but he has told me he may have to revert to open surgery if too complicated. Sending you all good wishes, all will be fine. Keep us updated 

Dogen\'s bag

I had the robotic reversal. 3 days and no ng tube i was home.  

I expected the worst and was terrified, thankfully the drs were not.

You got this!!

You fot this

Differentclass
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

That’s so good to hear Dogen. I had my pre-op assessment yesterday and I have been cleared for surgery! YAY! Just waiting on a date but have been told it will be soon. It’s great to hear from those who have had a successful take down……..so many scary stories out there, but have decided to focus on the positive. Do you know anything about the stapler anvil I have read about….. eek! Do they leave it inside? Thank you again for your fab response.

Differentclass
Reply to DexieB

Thanks Dexie. You will be fine. Please keep us updated. Wishing you all the best x

DexieB
Reply to Differentclass

Thanks for bringing this up, as I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday the 17th.  He did mention “stapling” last time I saw him and I need clarification…..will update you on what he says!  

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to Differentclass

I had my colon and intestine reattached via staple- I would have no idea had the dr. not told me.  Think of it as an ingredient to a nice meal, it makes the meal taste great but no idea it was part of the recipe.  :-)

Differentclass
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Very nice analogy Dogan. It sounds like you have made a fantastic recovery and that’s so good to hear for those of us who are waiting for reversals. Maybe too much info isn’t such a great idea on reflection, just puts the frighteners and scares the HELL out of me! Having said that I realise I am lucky to be offered the takedown, have not had any problems with the stoma other than feeling like I’ve been shot in the gut, but right from the start I’ve wanted to get put back together.  

DexieB
Reply to Differentclass

I'm doing the same...feeling lucky I have a chance at reversal, and just trying to focus on the positive!  I got my all clear yesterday after doing my pre-op physical and meeting with the surgeon.  He confirmed he does re-attach with a stapler, he says it provides the best outcome.  I'll be trying not to think of those staples left inside me, LOL!  I too have been lucky with my stoma - my biggest issue is that I got a huge hernia under it.  Even so, I've been living with it and it hasn't caused me any troubles....yet like you, I just want to get back to my previous normal if possible.  Wishing you the best possible outcome!

warrior
Reply to Differentclass

fingers crossed.🤞and 🙏

Differentclass

I’ve just heard that during my pre-op virtual colonoscopy they found 2 polyps! I’m waiting to hear how they will proceed with this…Now I am terrified they will postpone my reversal. Anyone had anything similar?

Differentclass
Reply to DexieB

I’m so happy for you Dexie, and we do have to put our faith in the surgeons and trust they know their job. Are you having a laparoscopic reversal? Do keep us updated and stay strong x

DexieB
Reply to Differentclass

Yes, robotic assisted.  I will definitely keep you posted!

DexieB
Reply to Differentclass

Maybe they will remove them during the reversal?  My colonoscopy won't be until 2 months after my reversal....I asked about that, and it's because they want to make sure cancer surveillance is done at 1 year - I suppose so they don't miss anything.  Please let us know what you find out!!

Differentclass
Reply to DexieB

Yes I’ll let you know for sure. I must admit it’s thrown me a bit! Someone is supposed to be contacting me but I left a message with my surgeon’s secretary anyway hoping they will get back to me early next week.

Differentclass

Had my Endoscopy yesterday and I can’t say it was much fun! All clear now hopefully for my reversal soon 🙏 

ReversedinFlorida

I think you will do great.  I know what you mean because when we have the emergency surgery and get the bag it's such a traumatic experience, that thought of going back to the operating room is scary.  But remember this time when you are rolled into the operating room you are being rolled in healthy, not being rolled in sick, like before.  So your body is going to react so much better.  I had my Hartmann's reversal 8 months ago and sometimes I'm in amazement and how smooth it was.   When I woke up from surgery I was in zero pain.  They tried to do laparoscopic but too many adhesions from the first surgery and had to be done open.  Didn't even make a difference though...it healed so nicely.  If you do end up with staples, yes they suck...but good news...they come out post-op day 14, so just count down the days!