ileostostomy since Sept 2020 Overactive Stoma, having diarrhea

Replies
Views
sunflowers

Everything I eat & even protein drink comes out very quickly into my bag, like it's not being digested for past 2 or 3 days. I take 4mg loperamide three times a day.... Maybe it's no longer working & I need another medication like lomotil or codeine or ?  I am currently sipping "Liquid I.V. - Hydration multiplier" in effort to ward off dehydration.    Thank you so much for your response. Feeling scared, have an appt. with new Gastroenterologist 1/16 next Tuesday. Don't want to do the ER thing if possible.... Addendum:  Every time I change my bag there is some swelling around the abdominal area/stoma. I have to push around this area & lots of 'Mush' food comes pouring out....

Heppy8

Could it be a partial blockage?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sunflowers
Reply to Heppy8

Heppy, Thanks for responding!  It could be partial blockage.... had one about two & a half months ago---I was blessed when a surgical (resident ?) knowing I'd been told in past by another surgeon (a second opinion) not to have future surgeries since that experience was horrendous. In comes into ER a (resident?) who offered me surgery or his hand & strong pain killer & used his finger to enter my stoma & release blockage & also put back into place "incarcerated parastomal hernia! I'll tell you about my horrendous ileostomy story back in 2020 another time. I will look up what to do with partial blockage.... I don't have cramps, pain or nausea, I'm actually hungry. Thanks again for your support & I'd be happy to have your friendship!

eefyjig

Hi sunflowers, I agree it sounds like a partial blockage, especially if mush comes out when you press around your stoma. The liquid is the force behind the mush trying to get it out. If it's a blockage, try to move as much as you can. Sit in a chair and lean forward as far as you can while sucking your belly in as much as you can and then pushing it out the same; rotate side to side slowly; get on all fours and rock forward and back. These movements can really help. I'm glad you have no discomfort - that's a blessing!

w30bob

Hi sunflowers,

If everything is transiting thru you very quickly you I'm guessing you (obviously) don't have a blockage.  Swelling of the stoma, or any part of your bowel is inflammation.  When the bowel wall is inflamed it doesn't absorb very well, hence the fast transit time.  There's a lot of  reasons your bowels can be inflammed, and without going in and taking a peak.....or having recent bloodwork to look at there's no sense speculating.  As for motility meds losing effectiveness.......I'm not aware that that's the case for Loperamide (Immodium) or Diphen-Atropine, which are the two I take.  I haven't researced any others, but a quick Google search for "Does ________ lose effectiveness over time" will get you a quick answer for your specific motility meds.  I'm sure your Gastro can schedule an Upper Endoscopy or an Ileoscopy (scoping thru your stoma) very easily, as well as order bloodwork to see if you have any markers for internal inflammation.  Squeeky wheel gets the grease, so when you see your Doc don't take no for an answer, or let them schedule you weeks out.  If you get nowhere fast.........simply hit the ER and you'll move to the front of the line!!  Sorry I can't be of more help!!

;O)

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

If you’re going, you’re not blocked. Straight protein drinks will go right thru anyone usually. Pouring electrolyte drinks into your system if nothing else is there will make you go too as not much is being absorbed. If it were me, I’d try eating normal foods, drink various things, and see if things slow down before I did anything else. 

C. Difficult

Protein shakes won't make you full or gain weight. Because we lack a large intestine our bodies cannot absorb a lot of the nutrients it needs. I've finally found a solution after 1.5 yrs. My gastroenterologist said I needed to supplement my diet with with protein shakes containing complex carbohydrates.

And HOLY COW! I finally had normal output. Very rarely do I have to take loperimide. I have finally gained back the weight I lost 2 yrs ago when I had my surgery. In three months I went from 102 lbs to 131lbs. I feel healthy. I will post a photo of the mass gainer I use. It's called HULK Clean Mass Gainer by Perfect Sport. I have two a day in the blender with milk, yogurt and some frozen fruit. The carbs will thicken your output and allow your body to absorb more nutrients.  

Also, add extra salt to your food. The body needs salt to absorb liquids and people with ileostomies usually lack sodium. 

I hope this helps.

AlexT
Reply to C. Difficult

Gotta have carbs to make things stick. 👍

kittybou
Reply to C. Difficult

I found the weight you lost, would you like it back???😻😸😹