Help with neonatel ostomy

Replies
Views
PapaLearning

Hello, to all the folks here, thank you! Today we managed to keep the last pouch we applied on for just about 24 hours. It's made a huge difference with how we run our cares with him and it keeps our little dude more relaxed.

We'll keep on iterating and trying to see what else we can do for the little man, but we are really happy. My sincerest thanks to everyone.

Once we get a bit further and lock down a rhythm for our cares, I'll compile our steps somewhere and keep it as a reference for the next set of parents (hopefully it is never has to be read).

AlexT
Reply to PapaLearning

You’re welcome. Your family has its hands full, finding easier/better methods to this madness helps a lot on the stress level of everyone . BTW, you can tear/cut those barrier rings and make them whatever size you need. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MBT

Cheers to 24 hours!!! 🎉 High fives, quiet ones so we don’t wake up your baby, to you guys! You are becoming pros 😊

NICUMOMMY3

Hello! I have been dealing as well with neonatal ostomy. My baby has an ileostomy and had a wound created which leaded to her using a fistula wound pouch. I think Hollister brand is great but the one you should get samples from is from Eakin pouches. They are best for fistula’s as we work close with an ostomy/wound care nurse to try other bags as she doesn’t need these anymore. We have a bunch I plan to give them away to people who need them. Anyways with those bags we use Cavilon Advanced you can google these so you can see what they look like but that’s what we used to stick on the bag and stoma powder IF the skin is wet it will dry it out and then you put on the cavilon to create a barrier. After if the consistency of the output is thick then your best bet is to cut the bottom part and attach the Dansac Soft Wire Ties Ostomy Bag Closures. If it also helps with the output put cotton balls in there Atleast 3 since it’s a small bag. This helped us so much through out the process of including her wound in the bag. I hope this helps, please reach out if any questions occur.