ConvaTec - request sample
ConvaTec - Try Esteem
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - Me+ Join For Free
Advertisement
ConvaTec - request sample
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join For Free

Is it possible to be regular with an ostomy?

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
The Largest Online Ostomy Community
with 16,301 Members
Watch MeetAnOstoMate Video
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:43 pm
Hello Everyone! Is it possible to become regular with an ostomy? My dr told me to drink Citrucel everynight to become regular. I find its all day long, Is it possible to train your colon?
Living with an Ostomy: Taking a Road Trip
Can I still wear the same clothing after ostomy surgery?...
Ostomysecretsģ Underwear - How does it work?
Travel Tips for People Living With an Ostomy
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:58 pm
Hi bklyn girl - If you have a colostomy it is very possible to be regular.  With my first one (a transverse) I had a lot of watery stuff all day, and when I asked my doc what to do he suggested one Immodium every day in the AM.  I became very regular with BMs at 6AM, noon and 6PM.

Now with my descending permanent colostomy I irrigate daily and get rid of everything in the AM right after breakfast.  Usually no problems the rest of the day...with exceptions that is...sure am glad my doc recommended it and my WOCN showed me how to do it.   Smile
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:20 pm
bklyn girl,
I have not tried irrigating as it has worked for Pinky, but Imodium is a "staple" to my everyday life.
I would think it would depend on why you had your Ostomy in the first place.
Irrigation will not work for me due to the severity of my Crohn's disease and the fact even after my colostomy I still have active disease.
So irrigation sounds like a dream to me.... but will stay just that Smile

Hope if you try it, it works for you Smile
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:20 pm
so u take one immodium in the am daily and that should control it more? I have a colostomy due to rectal cancer. I havent tried irrigation yet but want to...
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:24 pm
hi pinky I want to try the irrigation but havent yet.. Can u recommend which to use, i use convatec products...Did u ever try drinking the citrucel at night, my dr told me to drink it everyday. I guess I could try the immodium too, one in the morning and thats it? cant hurt to try! thank u for the info!!
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:55 am
bluezz Dont irrigate if you have crohns i was warned diverticulitis colitis Dont go there ...I know i have an ileo. I know a few things i asked about it was feeling let down cause i had a ileo but it was recommended even if i had acolostomy dont mess with the irrigation in case you damage your intestine ..Well i cant say dont but as much as i would want to if i was you no way i used to take 12 immodium a day still wasnt enough that dam crohns ........ mooza
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:49 am
I just learned how to irragate last Friday,can't find the right time,for i'm babysitting and don't know when he will wake up.I get p every dayat 5:15 so i'm thinking about 4:ooam and i hope it works for me.and i do think it is a good thing,but ny daughter says u got to be careful with leaks,got to find out more on this.BUT I'M GOING TO DO IT,BEST OF LUCK TO U.
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:32 pm
Hi Bklyn Girl - if you had rectal cancer (as I did) you may be an excellent prospect for irrigation.  You can irrigate if your colostomy is in the sigmoid or descending colon.  You need to ask your doctor if it is right for you and DEFINITELY do your first attempt at irrigating with a WOCN (ET nurse) in an outpatient setting (or at home if you insurance will pay for it).

I use the Coloplast irrigating system because I like the thermometer on the bag to tell you the temp of the water and a little waterwheel to show you how fast the water is entering your body.  (When you first irrigating you want the water to enter slowly or you might get nauseated.) You just need to get the Convatec irrigation sleeves that go with your size flange.

I use Hollister products and get the Hollister sleeves that fit my 1 and 1/4 inch flange.  I can't recomment their irrigation bad though - it's too small and there's no regulating the water flow.  I'm sorry I can't comment on the Convatec irrigating system - I haven't seen it, but I do know a 75 year woman who uses it!

There is a thread on the UOAA website about irrigating that can give you lots more info as well.  

Irrigating has made all the difference for me.       Smile
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:09 pm
Thanks Mooza! NO i won't irrigate...like you, it was told to me not to even think about it Smile
I have come to the point in my life and my Crohn's...it is what it is... and I am thankful for coming to peace with my "regularity"
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 pm
bklyn,

No unfortunately, I take immodium before anything substantial I eat and extra if i'm just having more output than usual.
If immodium causes you to bloat, then I would back down on the amount, because you don't have IBD, you could probably use less than Mooza or me Smile
See how you do with the one in the morning....
Fiber is a no no for me as it actually creates more output....

Hope all goes well for you Smile

Karen~
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:53 am
If you have a Colostomy it is possible to be "regular" using irrigation daily. For a Ileostomy it is less likely. The purpose of the large intestine is to remove water from the feces. Since that has been removed it requires the small intestine to take over. This may or may not happen.
Most ileostomates I know are not "regular". The stool may thicken and seem normal from time to time but there is no real way to be regular with a standard Ileostomy.
Good luck
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:21 pm
It all depends on your diet, and when and how much you eat. If I know I am going out that night, I will eat little during the day. Good luck
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.