Ostomy reversal complications: Seeking advice on persistent diarrhea

Replies
Views
Past Member

I developed a lactose intolerance recently and when I looked it up on Wikipedia, it mentioned one of the causes to be damage to the intestines. Results - constant watery diarrhea on a daily basis. I now have to cut out milk, cheese, and other lactose products in order to have regular stools. Why don't doctors tell us about intestinal damage causing lactose intolerance? It's such an easy thing to diagnose, but having had all sorts of intestinal problems leading to my ostomy and reversal, I immediately thought I was having issues with my "innards" again.

Ruby1
MissDDO, you could be onto something. Thank you. I will cut out dairy for a few days and see what happens. Stool samples came back today and they are normal! I'm back to square one, complaining about diarrhea before any operations......

Brandon, no idea where Ruby came from. Probably too many rum and cokes. I was never conscious about wearing a shirt until the ostomy. The whole deal made me uncomfortable, so I kept it covered. I don't remember the drain removal as being that painful. I have a high tolerance for pain though, and after so many procedures in 2011, I just grinned and went with it! Have no fear. Get through it and look forward to getting back into your own warm bed surrounded by family.

Don
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,427 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sunnydisposition.

Yes, you should have heard me swear. I used the 'f' word several times as the nurse hauled that large drain out of my side. A little twiddle every day might have ensured my insides did not stick to it. I would have done it myself if I had known about the pain.
The nurse did it when it was visiting time and my mum was outside the curtain. In a way, it is worse for people listening.
Top tip for stitches removal: ask for 2 nurses. In my hospital, they use sterile tweezers but they are very clumsy. The nurse was lifting the stitches with one hand and using a blade with the other. I could see she was going to slice me and she did.
I told her to go and get help, and with one nurse holding up the stitches and the other cutting, it was a much more efficient job.
It's a matter of confidence. It is your body, and you should have a voice in your care.
On that note, I have very small veins, and unless the nurse is an expert in cannulation, they normally have 3-4 failed attempts before getting someone else. So I always ask if they are really good at it. There are some nurses that will get someone else, but some who give it a go with the predicted result.
One nurse filled my arm with half a bag of potassium solution as she did not even get in the vein. I was not happy about that. It blew up like a balloon and took 3 days to absorb.
All in all, my care was good.
3 weeks post-op now and getting a bit easier. Still relying on the lactulose for a poo and don't get any urge to go even when I must be filled to the brim!
Also getting through a massive amount of loo roll, as there is no sense of when I have finished.
Glad I got it done.
Good luck to all.
Thinking of making an art installation with the 400 poo bags left over, suspended from the ceiling. Some stuck on a board, some filled with Nutella... what do you think?

Ruby1
Sunny, your sunny disposition went south on your last posting. Poor StomaStan is probably hiding under his bed!

Don
sunnydisposition.

Hi Don, I have been asked by several ostomates to post a frank account of my reversal. There is no point in sugar coating it. My experience is unique to me. A friend recently had her ileostomy reversed and was back to work in 3 weeks with no problems. Better to be prepared for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it is a smooth operation.
I am still smiling despite it all and every day is a bit easier.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Ruby1

Hey SunnyD, you are absolutely correct in relaying your experience as it happened to you. Please accept my apologies if you were offended by my post. I agree in not "sugar coating" but believe certain negative aspects of the experience should be omitted if they cause undue concern to a party that is about to undergo similar procedures. I am so happy to hear you are doing better with each passing day. Hang in there SunnyD..........

Don