Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,316 members

Swimming

Posted by Quietdreamer28, on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:30 am
This is my first stoma summer and I just bought a new one piece swim suit yesterday. I am wondering for those of you that do swim, when you do, do you have to change to a new bag that same day or not too far after? I know the wafer is meant to absorb moisture so if you have moisture on the inside from the stoma and also on the outside from the pool water it would lessen the stickiness to the skin, right? Please let me know, thanks.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:46 am
Well hi there! Smile  Actually, my personal experience is not so good with this.  I've had an ostomy since the age of ten and I LOVE to swim, but I always end up changing my "demon cover" after every swim ...even after my bubble baths...same thing, they just never stick  Sad   but hopefully one of our other friends will jump in here with some good news on the subject.   Doesn't stop me from swimming though, but it is annoying.  I don't like public pools so I head out for the lake, usually at night when it's peaceful, then there is no swimming suit even needed    ~Much love to ya honey from your Wounded Doe
Reply by Laura, on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:26 pm
Hi there, I love my swimming and was a open water swimmer before my op. My stoma, has never stopped me swimming however, i do always change my bag after the swim or any time it gets wet (shower, bath). I try not to eat about an hour before i swim otherwise 'grumble' - my stoma, always seems to work around then, plus i find that exercise speeds the digestion process up.Hope this helps and you enjoy your swimming x
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:13 pm
I would never apply a new appliance before a swim.  I always wait 24 hours after a new application before immersing otherwise it seems to weaken the "glue" faster.  I have been swimming before without any problems.  Hope you have a great time this summer!
Reply by boatlady, on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:36 pm
Hi I am an older lady of 63, had my stoma in '86.
I do aquafit twice a week, swim twice a week too, I only change my bag when it needs to be done, I feel pulling the bag off everyday or too often would harm the skin.
Enjoy your swimming... forget about your stoma you have got so now is the time to live with it, there is nothing I can't do so there is nothing you can't do either just try to be positive.
Reply by alligator, on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:03 pm
Hi first summer stoma, Ive gone swimming in the pool and ocean (pacific) and have worn my bag for my normal 7-8 days with no problems. I do understand that all people are different. I hope you get the answers you need kiddo. Alligator (Randy)
Reply by budd002, on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:21 pm
I've never had a problem in regards to having to change my bag after my swim. Just be sure to dry it off as best you can afterwards.
I personally have found that in the summer when I'm constantly in the pool or lake, I use a Skin Barrier wipe over top of my flange (on the band-aid part) and it seems to give it a bit of a better seal and will last longer. Give it a try. Can't hurt, might help!!

Good luck
Reply by surophoto, on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:44 pm
I swim, bike and run. I never had a problem, of course doesn't last 7 days but usually 5 days maybe 6 days, I use a Belt Every time.
Try using a belt .....
Reply by Belinda, on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:54 am
Hi. I'm another 63 year old like boatlady! Have had Ileo for 5 years.I don't swim but I do bath as I don't have a shower. Apart from making the bag soggy, water doesn't seem to affect adhesion at all. Sometimes I change after a bath, but only if it's time to anyway.
Reply by Quietdreamer28, on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:35 am

budd002 wrote:
I personally have found that in the summer when I'm constantly in the pool or lake, I use a Skin Barrier wipe over top of my flange (on the band-aid part) and it seems to give it a bit of a better seal and will last longer. Give it a try. Can't hurt, might help!!

Wow that's a great idea!! Never thought about doing that but it makes sense thanks.

Thanks to everyone else for their help as well. I think I might end up having to change it afterwards but I shall just jump in and see how it is after the swim.
Reply by keysgirl, on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:48 am
So, are all of you saying you just use your regular bag?  Or a special one for swimming?  Also, what do you mean by using the barrier wipe on the flange?  You just wipe it on the flange or your skin?  

Last year was my virgin ostomy summer, so not knowing anything, I missed all of the swimming days.  After reading all of your comments, I can't wait to get to the water.  Thanks for sharing.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:07 pm

keysgirl wrote:
So, are all of you saying you just use your regular bag?  Or a special one for swimming?  Also, what do you mean by using the barrier wipe on the flange?  You just wipe it on the flange or your skin?  

Last year was my virgin ostomy summer, so not knowing anything, I missed all of the swimming days.  After reading all of your comments, I can't wait to get to the water.  Thanks for sharing.

Hi! I'm just jumping into the mix here ...I had forgotten about the idea of using barrier wipe, I had that as a child, I'm so glad it was mentioned by one of our friends here Smile  You wipe it on the skin and it does help the tape of the bag to stick better.  I should have the pharmacy order some.

Take care!

~Doe
Reply by 1229noid, on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 pm
I aint got a credit card so i cant sign up as full member...Sad

Any how I wanted to thank u all 4 the wonderful help....This is my 7th month with a colostomy, my world didn't end it jus got so much more interesting...Smile
All you ppl are great helping each other out how awesome is that?...
So I continue reading and hoping and all seems to turn out okay.......
Wish I could find some ppl in real life ta hang out with who had a colostomy like me...Sad oh well.

Thanks again all you great ppl, peace out......

God Bless...........
Reply by budd002, on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:43 pm
[quote="keysgirl"]So, are all of you saying you just use your regular bag?  Or a special one for swimming?  Also, what do you mean by using the barrier wipe on the flange?  You just wipe it on the flange or your skin?  

I wipe on the "band-aid" part of the flange and along the edge seems to work like a seal for me. You can use your regular bag, just pat dry with a towel afterward...
Reply by weewee, on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:02 am
since you bought a one peice swim suit you can buy a device called dry pro go to their web site  it will keep u dry and water tight i hope  i didnt spell it wrong i can look it up again it isnt that costly
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.