Leaking and Recessed Stoma: Need Help!

Replies
Views
godswoman

Recently I've gone from 5-7 days wear time with no problems to leaking from all sides of the wafer and changing 2 times/day. I've noticed that my stoma has become very recessed. I wear a Hollister 2-piece system with a drainable pouch. I have gained about 20-30 pounds since my surgery nearly 3 years ago. It looks like everything is backing up, rather than going down into the pouch. HELP! This situation makes me feel very discouraged and definitely NOT SEXY to my new husband, but he is an absolute doll about everything!

Mrs.A
Hello godswoman,
I am sorry you are having a problem. I think you should consult your ostomy nurse or your primary care physician. Hopefully, they can explain why your stoma has become recessed. Once you do that (or before), check out the forums. I thought there was a title about this posted.
Best wishes.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

callie

A light convex wafer may be your answer. Also, if you are having a problem with the product you are now wearing, call all of the manufacturers and ask for samples and tell them that your stoma is flat. Good luck.

Green Eyed Lady
Hi, Eakin makes some barrier seals/rings to attach to the flange before adhering over the stoma area. I also wear a Hollister 2-piece convex flange drainable pouch and have one side of my stoma that is flush with the skin - and the other side protrudes as it should. I was in the same boat as you and would be sunk without these barrier rings to add protection, and I can now wear my appliances for at least 5-6 days again. Please contact your Ostomy nurse and ask them about these barrier rings. Also, do not wear a flat flange as it will leak. The barrier rings plus convex flange help to create a solid collar around the stoma and stop the leaks. Good luck!
notexpectingthis

The convex wafer Eakin is a must if the stoma is trying to recess!!! I was losing up to 4 bags a day, my skin was totally shredded at one point -

Marlen made my favorite light convexity bag - the flange was extremely comfortable, moved well with my body.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
godswoman

Thanks everyone for your advice. My GI said that I needed to see my surgeon because my stoma is completely recessed on all sides, but "Oscar" has been behaving a little better these past few days. Do you know if Edgepark carries the Eakin products and the Marlen bag? If not, where can I get them? You folks are truly a godsend. Bless you all!

notexpectingthis

Yes, Edgepark is where I ordered these supplies!!!
Melissa
latina63

Hi there, I am 17 days post-op of my reversal, doing much better and getting stronger every day. Just thought I would mention that I found my Eakins Rings on eBay for a fraction of the cost! I do not have health insurance, so that was a blessing. I usually found them for $48-50.00 for 20 and free shipping. We all know that is a BIG bargain. Just thought I would share, good luck.