How do you shower?

Replies
Views
janice

May sound like a stupid question but I'm wondering. My surgical wound has finally healed so the doc said I can shower again.
I have to cover up my PICC line which isn't a problem because they send me a sleeve for that.
Should I cover my bags with something?
Should I let the water hit directly on them?
Does the soapy water weaken the seal?

cagabolsa
Janice,

You just shower like any other normal person. First of all, you can shower surgical wounds using natural soaps and softly dry them with tissues. Any wound that's open can be treated with a medical disinfectant afterwards. There is no need to wait for wounds to be closed completely.

Your baggy is waterproof and you can step into a nice bubble bath or go for a swim whenever you want. Of course, the wafer (or seal) loves water, otherwise it would cause your skin to sweat. So if you let it get wet, the sides absorb a little bit of water which is no problem because it will evaporate again. The longer you stay underwater (like swimming) the more the wafer absorbs and could eventually let a little bit loose on the sides. Don't worry about that.
To prevent minor problems, or to make you feel more secure, you can tape off the sides with waterproof tape or surgical adhesive foil (the one they use to fix total parental nutrition I.V.'s)

So don't worry about anything and do everything you ever did before.

Please enjoy your life to the max like any other "normal" person. Forget about your baggy.

Cheers, Richard
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,317 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Never a stupid question, girl! You just climb into that shower and enjoy the water....let it cleanse your soul right along with your body and go ahead 'n let it splash you everywhere. As for me, I get too chilly in showers, I'm a bubble bath person and every night I submerge into my blissful bubbles, little baggie and all, even if the tape loosens up from time to time. Hell, I don't care. So what, then I will change the appliance when I'm done. Gotta enjoy my hot bubbles.... ~Much love to yah from your Wounded Doe

Past Member

I can completely relate to the PICC line being covered, but everything else is okay. As stated above, just shower/bathe as you did before. Some people shower without the appliance, others with. It's all just personal preference and as Richard said, the wafer is cool with water!

On another note, Wounded Doe, you said "appliance". I guess I'm rubbing off on you.

Past Member
LOL!!!    I think you are right!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Faith4Today

I just got an ostomy cap in the mail. Made out of the same stuff as the bags are. Looks kind of like a doll's sailor hat. A little bigger than the stoma and a little extra room so it doesn't press on the stoma. My nurse says swimmers use them if they have irrigated already before they swim. It snaps right on like a bag. If I am due to change the flange, I remove it shower NAKED. If I want to continue wearing the flange, I remove the bag, rinse it, and store it in a baggie while I shower. Put on the cap and shower. I store it in a ziplock baggie for the next shower and apply the regular bag after showering. It's nice to not have to wait for the regular bag to dry.

janice

Thanks all. Looking forward to a nice hot shower!

gutenberg
Thanks for asking the question, I've always wandered about that as I've always changed the wafer and pouch after a shower for fear of having the whole thing fall off.
janice

Well, I showered. The flange stayed on, but what a pain to dry off! My bags were damp for half the day. I think I'll stick to washing in the sink.

cagabolsa

Hi Janice, how about a hairdryer?  Don't let the air get too hot or keep the device too close to your baggy because the plastic will shrink, melt, and cause a leakage.
Please don't give up too easily.
You can also fold some toilet paper and put it between your skin and the baggy, get dressed, and in a short while, you remove the damp paper and continue with a dry baggie.

Enjoy your showers.
Past Member

I shower and bathe like a normal bagless person. I keep my bag on as I don't want to share it with poo. And after, I put a fresh bag on as I don't want to wear a wet soggy bag, and the heat and water make it deteriorate anyway.
For me, it's either a quick shower or a long bath, mainly a quick shower.

janice

I will try your ideas, cagabolsa. Thanks for the tips, poppyread. Are you saying you have the 2 pc. bags and just change the bag, not the flange, after your shower? Doesn't taking the bag on and off loosen the flange?

dlgates
When I first joined this forum, I read many, many posts about complicated ways to keep your bag completely protected from water. I tried several and even bought some fairly expensive gadgets. The opinion at the time (only 15 months ago) was that water was the enemy of bags. Now from what I am reading here, that's not the case at all! What's changed?

Usually when it's time to change my equipment--which is typically every third day--I use a stoma cap in the shower. Sometimes, if I'm really confident that I'm well evacuated, I shower without anything. In fact, I've taken hospital/sink/sponge baths except for appliance-changing day. If it's really perfectly all right to shower with wafer and bag on, that would certainly make me enjoy showering daily again!

I use two-piece Hollister products. I find that the filter and escape valve are quite worn out after no more than two days anyway, so I can't imagine not having to change completely every third day. By the third day my bag is usually blowing up like a balloon and I'm beginning to smell myself. I usually risk a blow-out if I try to keep a wafer on longer than three days anyway...
Gus

I use the Hollister Tandem with a drainable pouch. I keep it on for 4-5 days. I shower and dry the bag with a towel after drying myself. I have never had an issue with the bag being wet, and if it was, I just tie a small toweling baby's bib around the flange. That absorbs sweat and water with no problem. It also helps stop the rash you get in hot weather by absorbing the sweat and not allowing bacteria to breed.

Mollyam

I have had my stoma only since the end of June. I have only ever bathed once with a bag. I always bath uncovered. Now I am irrigating successfully and have no need for a bag. In the early days, I just had a piece of toilet tissue handy in case, and if I used it, I disposed of it down the toilet. I did find that the bag took time to dry, and I tried using a hairdryer too, but being uncovered felt good. I prefer to use flushable one-piece bags, but I have never been in a situation where I couldn't change it for days at a time. Now I am using a mini bag, removing it before irrigation, followed by a bath, and then putting on a new one until the next time.