Dehydration

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Verdun

Can anyone out there tell me what dehydration feels like? What are the symptoms and feelings when it is happening? I think I might be suffering from it. Any help? Thank you for.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lorraine-cooper1960
Hi Verdun. The symptoms of dehydration are a lack of sweating on a hot day, usually a whitish tongue, dizziness, fatigue, sore aching muscles, sometimes cramping, feeling faint, and generally feeling totally wiped out. You may also notice some breathlessness, palpitations or a different heartbeat, as well as a lower amount of urine than normal or dark urine.
But, please, if you think you are dehydrated, then I always advise patients to go to an emergency room or their GP (physician) to get checked out thoroughly. It's not something that should be taken lightly.
To prevent dehydration, try to keep a bottle of water with you at all times and regularly take sips or drink over 2 hours. You should aim for 1 (min) to 2 liters, that's either 2 pints or 4 pints on the non-metric scale, per day. That doesn't include tea, coffee, or milk; they are extra.
With a shortened bowel, the body's ability to obtain adequate fluid is compromised as fluid is absorbed through the bowel. So in warm/hot weather, it is even more important to drink water and an electrolyte solution that can be bought in the pharmacy.
I hope this helps. Oh, and you don't have to have every symptom. I was covering all bases, but if you think from the list you could be, then don't hesitate.
Wishing you well, Lorraine.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy
Hi Verdun. Lorraine gave you a great overview of this potentially very serious problem. I can add a few symptoms of dehydration's onset based on my personal experience: (1) the constant need to urinate but no output, (2) a drooping posture, and (3) hoarseness. These are signs that I am starting to become dehydrated and need to take action. As an ileo, however, I do not wait until I am thirsty before drinking. Rather, I drink proactively and often to stay out of trouble. I keep a bottle of water or Gatorade with me at all times, even on short trips to the grocery store. Now, you are probably talking about a constant state of dehydration which is not promptly relieved by drinking the proper fluids (water and electrolytes). If so, follow Lorraine's advice and get immediate medical attention. You may need to be connected to an IV for a while as the only means to replace lost fluids in your system. Good luck!
PB
livinnandlearnin
Hey Verdun! I'm an expert in dehydration. Having a permanent ileostomy, severe atypical Crohn's disease, and for a year I had no esophagus put me at a very high risk all the time for dehydration. The first sign that I experience is a fast heart rate. As the volume of fluid in your body goes down, your heart will try to compensate by pumping faster and harder. Your blood pressure will thereby go down. Another early symptom for me is concentrated-looking urine (dark). Less water means more "stuff" in less fluid producing darker urine. Your goal should be to have a very light yellow urine. I have found that the only way I can stay hydrated is by carrying a travel mug of water around and sipping on it all the time. It goes with me everywhere. I also advise against caffeine and alcohol, which are dehydrating. My GI doctor had me on Thermotabs for a while. I took as many as 6 in a day. They are mostly salt with some other electrolytes. They are not advised for some people, so talk to your doctor about this if you find you are having a chronic issue with dehydration as I do. I get them from my pharmacy, and my insurance covers them, but there are OTC equivalents. Another test you can do is to pinch the skin on the back of your hand. It should bounce back quickly. If you find that you pinch the skin up and after a second you can still see it raised up at all, you're likely dehydrated. Good luck and be careful. Dehydration can be really serious. By the time you're feeling dizzy from it, you need to go to the ER and get IV fluids.