Another problem

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Sven

So, here's the deal:

My insurance doesn't cover supplies. Plain and simple. I had stockpiled some from after my surgery, but now that I've run out, I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the skin around the stoma healthy. It's red, irritated, bleeding when I change the dressing, and itchy/sore. As I live in Texas, it's very hot and I sweat at work (mechanic). So I've gotten the Hollister spray adhesive - which I think I'm allergic to (taking Benadryl for now) - and am using stoma powder, skin barrier wipes, paste to fill in dimples, and milk of magnesia. What really helped was the stretchy barrier rings, but $80.00 for ten is way too much. Any suggestions?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

texazgal

Goodness! Not to have insurance... this stuff is so expensive. Well, the Eakins seals are quite dear, but Hollister and Coloplast also make seals that work as well (at least for me they do) and are less expensive. The cheapest are the Convatec paste strips (Stomahesive strips); 15 to a box and I cut them in half lengthwise and press them into a circle and apply. I don't see a price but I think they were about $30 a few years back. And as for the sore skin, I developed an allergy to the Hollister barrier tapes. Switching to tapeless helped a lot. You might try that.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ron in mich

Hi Sven, call the suppliers and explain your situation. Maybe they have a program for uninsured people, and if nothing else, ask for samples. Good luck.

ADKM

There are a few programs to assist folks without insurance. The first is Hollister Assist program 888-7456 ext 3454, another is Ostogroup 877-678-6690 and Convatec ostomy access program 800-979-8716. You can also reach all of these programs online. I just happened to have the phone numbers, so I thought I'd share those too. Good luck!